Chapter [18]

Because this book is now published, content stops after chapter twenty. Please proceed with this information in mind.  

E i g h t e e n

            As always, sleep was awkwardly positioned and uncomfortable, making my muscles ache in tension. I vaguely remembered falling asleep but as I gradually woke up more, I remembered. Feeling dirty and sticky lying in my bed, I shuffled and tangled myself further into the sheets. I felt the tug of Ryder as he stirred from next to me on the floor.

            Glancing over, I saw him sleeping with his brow furrowed, eyes squeezed shut. An animal like sound erupted from his lips and his body jerked. Pearls of sweat had formed on his forehead, dampening his hairline. Ryder was having a bad dream. Placing a hand on his shoulder, I gently shook.

            "Ryder, you're having a nightmare..."

            His eyes flew open, wide glittering, orbs searching the room in confusion. His breathing was faster than usual but he tried to control it, running a hand through his messy hair. He tilted his head to the side and saw me, then cracked a small smile. Ryder ran a hand down his face and let out a sleepy groan.

            "Morning," he greeted, tone slow and deep. He stretched –well, as much as he could, considering he was still chained to me- and glanced around. "What time is it?"

            'It's... Crap!" Panic rose in my throat as I glanced at the clock and realised we were beyond late for school. It was already ten in the morning and second period would have been well underway.

            On cue, Eve knocked and entered my room. "Oh, good, you're up now."

            "Why didn't you wake us?" I burst out, trying to kick the sheets off.

            "I knew you guys were tired. It's completely cool. I called the school in advance, told them you had an appointment and that you'd be at school around lunch," Eve explained, waving around a beef jerky stick.

            "You lied to the school?" I was starting to really freak out. "Aren't we already in enough trouble with the authorities?"

            My sister just rolled her eyes and started backing out of the room. "Calm down, Nora. God. I used to do it all the time. It's no big deal. Look, I just came up here to tell you that Patrick and I are going to the doctor for an ultrasound."

            "Your baby must be heaps big now, huh?" Ryder said, nodding at Eve's prized-sized belly.

            She placed her hands on her stomach and unconsciously rubbed; something she did whenever someone asked about her baby. I guess it was one of those protective gestures that emphasised the attachment and relationship between mother and child.

            "Yeah," she answered, smiling, "but this ultrasound is for Patrick."

            "Boys getting pregnant sound scary." I piped in, getting freaked about the whole idea of a hormonal Patrick.

            Eve walked over and smacked me over the head with her packet of beef jerky. "It's a soft tissue injury." The sound of Patrick's voice drifted up the stairs as he called for my sister. Before leaving, she added, "Have a shower. Both of you. You're filthy."

            Then with that, she left. Ryder and I exchanged glances and knew we both needed to proceed with our day. We had gotten increasingly better with the whole bathroom thing. When it came to showering, it was still pretty awkward, but anything beyond that, we coped surprisingly well. I supposed we were both just tired and figured the situation of being handcuffed was difficult enough so cooperating sounded like the most suitable way to tackle it all.