Chapter [6]

Because this book is now published, content stops after chapter twenty. Please proceed with this information in mind.  

S i x

            "I'll have that, thank you, Mr. Collins." Our history teacher, Mr. Kansas, snatched the note from Ryder's fingers just as he was about to slip it back to his friend.

            He gave Ryder a wicked grin of cruel satisfaction as he marched back up to the classroom. Ryder made a grunt and said a range of colourful language, to which our teacher scowled at in disgust. Mr. Kansas unfolded the thick piece of textured paper Ryder had ripped out from his sketch diary.

            "Have you touched her boobs yet?" Mr. Kansas read out loud to the class.

            This sparked up snickers and giggles chorusing through the class. Caine and Ryder exchanged cocky sneers, sharing some kind of best-bud telepathic bond. Mr. Kansas, on the other hand, wasn't as amused as the rest of us. He crunched up the note in his big hands and glared down at the boys.

            "I'm glad you boys have a good sense of humour. I'm sure you'll find detention this afternoon just as hilarious."

            That wiped the smirks off their faces. Ryder replaced his cocky grin with a scowl of displeasure, leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms as he glared at the teacher. Caine looked just as frustrated and decided to find entertainment in his click-y pen.

            "Ha, ha," I whispered mockingly, jabbing him in the arm.

            "Shut up, Nora," he hissed back, poking me with his pen. "If you haven't forgotten, you're still chained to me."

            Dammit.

            "Whatever," I scowled in defeat, sinking into my chair.

            "And that concludes the history of the Russian Revolution," Mr. Kansas finished, placing the textbook he was gathering information from down onto his desk.

            The bell rang seconds after his rant and everyone instantly started shuffling their things together to get out to lunch. Shoving some loose paper sleeves into my bag, I scraped back my chair and followed Ryder out.

            "Remember to finish your essays for homework! We'll be starting a new topic tomorrow," Mr. Kansas yelled out to his students, but the excitement of lunch freedom had tuned him out.

            As we all flooded out of the classroom and drifted into the sea of students in the corridors, heading for exits, Ryder and I made our way to the lockers. We had gotten a lot of stares since we got to class. Not because of the handcuffs. Apparently that was old news. It was because Ryder had only shaved half his face and I had a drawn on eyebrow.

            We floated with the current of kids and we made a stop at Ryder's locker, which conveniently, was right next to Mel's. Her bright, green eyes lit up as she saw me and she slammed her locker door closed. She shifted the weight of her textbooks and grinned as she headed over.

            Her vibrant, red hair was in a messy bun, a few short curls framing her thin, pale face. However, as she neared, she raised a perfectly shaped eyebrow at me.

            "God, so the rumours are true," she said.

            "Yeah," I answered, "I am chained to a hairy butt crack."