Chapter [5]

Because this book is now published, content stops after chapter twenty. Please proceed with this information in mind.

F i v e

               Sharing a bathroom with my sister is hell. But sharing the bathroom with Ryder is worse.

            The following morning, we were in the bathroom together, shoving and pushing each other as we tried to get as much reflection view as possible. My muscles ached everywhere from having to sleep in the same position all night. My body was tense and I really needed a shower. But thinking we would get out of the handcuffs by the time school was over, I decided I'd wait until I was alone until I got naked.

            When we finally stopped battling by the sink, Ryder rubbed some shaving cream onto the stubble that had magically grown on his chin overnight and picked up the new razor we had stolen from my parents' bathroom. While we was busy mowing the lawn off his face, I picked up an eyebrow wax strip and leaned in towards the mirror to get a better look at my eyes.

            Tearing off the back, I slowly aimed the strip at the bush on my brow. But just as I was about to carefully put it in place, Ryder decided he wanted to feel how baby-butt-soft his jaw had become. His left hand shot out to stroke his face, causing my steady fingers to yank in his direction and accidentally plaster the wax strip half way down my eyebrow.

            "Ryder!" I squealed in horror as I squinted at the wax strip firmly planted in place.

            He took one look at my panicked expression and burst out laughing. Frowning, I slapped his hand, causing him to lose his grip on the razor. It went flying into the air and landed in the toilet bowl with a splash. He growled in annoyance.

            "I wasn't finished yet!" he hissed.

            Just at that moment, Eve burst in through the bathroom, a jumbo tub of Nutella in one hand and a giant spoon the size of an ice-cream scoop in the other.

            "I can hear you guys fighting from downstairs. You're going to be late if you keep it up," she said, licking the chocolate spread off her huge spoon. When she finally got a good look at us, she added, "Why did you decide to wax half your eyebrow off? And why did you only shave half your face?"       

            Silently, Ryder and I glared at each other.

            "Listen, if you guys want a ride, I'm leaving in fifteen minutes," Nora said before turning and strutting away.

            "I can't wait to get out of these handcuffs," I grumbled.

~♥♥♥~

            "What do you mean we have to wait a week for further instructions?" I snapped, my blood boiling in fury.

            We had skipped half of our first lesson and wasted it on unproductive arguments in the principal's office. As always, the room smelt like strong coffee; an exotic mixture of freshly ground beans. The office was warm and the seat I occupied was heated too, as if someone's butt had warmed it prior to our arrival.

            Cool and collected, Mrs Westfield, looked at us over her car eye glasses. Her dirty, blonde hair was tied up in a neat bun, a few silvery aged strands glittering in the weak, winter morning sunlight. Her crimson lips pursed -an unconscious habit of hers, even if she wasn't frustrated- and she answered.