Tomorrow is a Date

A hand caught my arm pulling me back in and I was wrapped in warmth and held tightly.

“Careful.” His voice said as he held onto me.

I pulled away looking up at the dark Prince his tan muzzle held a smirk, he really thought he was just so mighty, I could tell how big his ego was just by his smile, full of pride; a bit too much if you ask me.

“You came in my room without permission nary a knock!” I yelled at him angrily, “I think it’s YOU who should be careful.”

He raised a brow and his smirk broke out into a full smile and he laughed a little, “You’re the one who almost fell out the window out of a castle’s tower, which sounds far more dangerous than walking into a room uninvited.”

“It wouldn’t have happened if I knew you were in the room!”

He frowned seeming to think about it for a moment, “Hmm, touché.” He clenched his hand in a fist and raised it to the wall knocking on it three times, “May I come in?” he asked looking at me.

“No!” I narrowed my eyes if this is his way of being funny I wasn’t finding it at all amusing, “Get out.” I pointed out side.

He sighed rolling his eyes, “Fine.” He pushed past me and leapt on the windowsill and took a seat.

“Hey I said get out.” I repeated.

“I am out. Not in your room but in the window, but I’m out of your room.” He said sarcastically. I can’t believe he’s doing this he really has no manners at all!  

“If you don’t get out right now I’ll call the guards to get you.” I said putting my hands on my hips.

“Why? Are you scared?” he asked.

“Scared? ….Well yes actually I am, but that doesn’t mean I won’t stand up to a lowly rat like you, I’m giving you a chance, that you don’t deserve if you ask me, to get out now.”

“Why are you scared!? I haven’t done anything wrong!” He pouted in the window.

“You came in my room without permission!”

 “It wasn’t so bad! Besides I’d think it to be maybe a bit embarrassing if I came in and you was changing, but even still how terrifying is that!?” his ears went down.

“I don’t want anything to do with you, I know where you come from and I know what you did.”

His face suddenly went neutral, I couldn’t read any expression from his ears or eyes not even his mouth. It was making me uneasy, that I couldn’t read his next move.

“So… you heard the rumors then.” He said still no expression, and not even looking at me anymore. “So you think I’m some ruthless murderer that takes no responsibility in ruling my kingdom and I go around steeling anything I can get my hands on. That I rape every girl that walks into my line of sight, and burn down the houses of families and get into fights for no reason.”

It sounded terrible that I would say yes to that statement even though I don’t know him personally. His eyes cut me a glare as he let his legs dangle inside my room again as he shifted his possession on the window, “Let me ask you something, If I supposedly murdered my father, how is it I’m still claimed as Prince and not King taking my father’s place?”

Oh, that was a slight detail everyone and I myself had over looked.

“Ah silence.” He began to smile again, “Now that we disproved that myth, do you think I’d really go around raping woman if I hadn’t so much threatened you nor take your innocents, even though I very well could have and very capable of doing so. I saved you from falling out a window for crying out loud if I was that heartless I would have let you fall don’t you think?”

“Well I…” I really didn’t know what to say, but I knew he was trying to be a friend. I wouldn’t think anyone doing such terrible acts he spoke of to want any interest in a friend, so maybe he wasn’t like the stories I’ve heard around the castle by the servants. “I’m sorry.” I said feeling silly to believe all those things.

“It’s fine, I get it almost everywhere I go.” He shrugged seeming annoyed by the fact, “But I wouldn’t have thought you were scared of me, you didn’t so much as scream or yell for someone. I’ve been chased out of a lot of places because everyone would either run away or get their guards to escort me out.”

I frowned, “Really? But why didn’t you fight back with them to prove all that stuff wasn’t true.”

“If I would have fought back it would prove that I have a hostile behavior, so it would only make matters worse.” He said.

“Oh.” I nodded. He does have a point. “So what brings you here?” I asked moving my chair that I use for my studies to sit in front of the window.

“A trade of the sort, I’m not really aloud to give it out.”

“I didn’t know we traded with the South.” I said surprised.

“Half the meat you eat wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for us in the South.” He said.

“Oh. So do you have any friends?” I asked.

“Hmm…” He looked up pondering the question, “Well I guess I have two.”

“You guess?”

“They aren’t exactly regular friends I suppose more like very close acquaintances, or so they like to say we are, but I secretly call them friends.” He smiled.

“Oh. I have a friend but she lives in another castle so we write back and forth to each other.” I said.

“Shadow?? Where are you we’re leaving now!”  a raspy voice called for the Prince.

“Is that you’re father?” I asked looking out the window with him.

“Not exactly.  My real father died a long time ago, shortly after I ‘born’ so to speak. My ‘step-father’ was loyal to my dad and proved himself worthy of the throne until I’m old enough to take charge myself.”

“Well, what about now aren’t you old enough?” I asked.

“Yeah sixty or so years old enough but… I don’t want to, not by myself.” He said.

“Sixty?? W-what?” I asked looking at him.

“It’s hard to explain…” He said looking sad, “I’d take the time but it appears I don’t have any at the moment. Excuse me, I have to leave now.”

“W-wait! Maybe we could, write each other??” I asked grabbing his arm before he climbed out.

“It’ll be too long of a message.” He said looking back at me. I frowned and let him go when the voice called him again. “I will tell you next time I see you.”

“Next time?? You’re coming back? When?” I looked up happily.

“Well now that I know you won’t chase me away, how bout at sunset tomorrow?” He asked, “Though your kingdom does trade with us they still aren’t very fond of me and wouldn’t like it if they found me with the Princess.”

“Oh okay!” I nodded with a smile, “Good night Prince Shadow.” I said remembering his name as it was called.

He smiled and bowed softly taking my hand and placed a kiss on my knuckle, “Good night Princess. I’ll see you tomorrow at sunset.”

I giggled and opened my mouth to speak again realizing how rude I’ve been and not given out my name, but he was gone with a quick flash of light and back on the ground climbing on to the hawk and flew away.