Chapter 11

REMEMBER MORE

CHAPTER 11

After her shower, Yan was feeling hungrier than ever. She thought about it, but didn't feel right going off to dinner without her boss, so she settled for gobbling up the cup noodle she'd brought along with her instead. She'd done quite a bit of traveling in her time and knew the importance of always having one of these handy in case of jet lag and she needed a fix of MSG in the middle of the night.

John came in as she was just about done.

Chewing her last mouthful, she turned to him. "Sir?"

John nodded at her, telling her to finish.

"I'm sorry, sir." She put down her noodles. She wiped her mouth. "I thought you'd be doing the qi thing and I didn't know how long that was going to be and…"

He waved at her. "That's all right." He motioned for her to get her things together. "We should go."

"What about your eyes?"

John rubbed his temple. "The sun's down. I can manage." He winced and began rubbing his other temple too.

Yan got ready and they left.

~~~

On the way over to the Pyramids, in the back of the cab, John told Yan that he had tried the Pathway of Wood and it was very much like what he had experienced with the Pathway of Metal. He was able to lead his qi up and down his legs, into his chest and even into the area behind his eyes. Once he got the hang of it, he found that by doing so, the colour distortions and his photosensitivity was better, but he would still get jabs of sharp pain behind his orbits every now and then that would catch him off guard and make him wince. These were annoying, as well as the feeling that somewhere behind his eyes and he couldn't say exactly where, there was still something blocked, something closed up shut. Like a locked door that just won't open. Very much like that other door that wouldn't open for him either back at the house, at least at first, the one behind his nose.

Yan closed her eyes and nodded. "Just remember, don't be going all out and all aggressive on it like you're used to. It's all in the not trying. You have to…"

"Yeah, yeah…" He waved her off. Turning to the window so she couldn't see, he checked himself to see if he was bleeding from the eyes.

When he turned back, he noticed that she was staring into her phone. He leaned over. "What are you reading?"

She shrugged. She turned to him. "Did you know that they only discovered recently a secret tunnel leading from the Sphinx to the Great Pyramid of Cheops?"

He flicked up his brows for a second.

"That's amazing." She took a breath in and sighed. "Thousands of years of history and the Pyramids are still holding secrets. Who knows what other surprises they might have for us yet?"

"Where are you getting this information?"

"Oh, it's easy. I just went to 'touregypt.net'. It's all right there." She peered outside her window. "Oh, look!" She pointed down the street.

John could see it too. They had turned the corner and arrived at the Sphinx. And then well beyond that, they could see the Great Pyramids in the distance also.

John asked the driver to stop the car. They paid him and got out. Yan helped John into his wheelchair which they got out from the trunk and together, they began moving down the street and toward the monument.

As they got closer, the throng of people around them became thicker. People of all ages milled their way about through the crowd and shuffling here and there, talking, laughing. Flashbulbs were going off everywhere. Conversations in different languages wafted through the air.