Chapter 07

REMEMBER MORE

CHAPTER 07

Yan stood in the middle of the room, jaw open, shoulders drooping, staring at her boss by the far side of the room near the bed, now trying to rip off a piece of tape with only the use of one hand.

He wasn't doing it very well. He cursed. "Yan!" He turned to her. "Well, don't just stand there! Come help me…!"

Shaking her head, she approached the old man. Taking over from him, she ripped off a piece of tape and with some gauze nearby, she bandaged up the spot where he had injected himself with the serum. "Sir, did you just do what I think you did?"

He scoffed. "That much is obvious isn't it? And really, it's all thanks to you…"

"Me?!" She stepped back.

"Yes…"

"But, sir! This stuff is dangerous! You can be killed!" She adjusted the bandage. It was seeping a little. "Look at Jonas! He's young and fit and the serum nearly killed him!"

"But how am I ever going to find him if I don't know what he was thinking? You said so yourself! The only way to know where he's gone, we have to know what he was thinking…"

"Oh, is that what this is about…?"

"I…" John blinked. He made a face.

She leaned in closer. "What's wrong?"

John shook his head from side to side. "It's getting awful hot in here…"

"Oh, no…"

Yan raced off for the pharmacy and readied a shot of tranquilizer. She gave it to him.

As soon as the medicine went in, John became groggy and fell asleep.

Yan moved John into the bed. She changed his clothes. Going up to the IV pole by his side, she hung up a new bag. She prepped more tranquilizer and put that in.

Throughout the process, John remained comfortably asleep. He didn't jerk himself awake once.

While he was sleeping, Yan called Mike and asked for another supply of the serum in tablet form. She smirked at herself. She was really getting the hang of the whole thing.

Over the next two days, Yan woke John just enough so he could drink a little soup and go to the bathroom. That and he would take the pills on schedule, twice a day. The rest of the time, he just slept. Just like Jonas did. By the end of the second day, John came off the IV and the tranquilizer entirely and he was awake a lot more. He could talk and read a little without getting too tired. The headaches were under control with some analgesic. His hair did start to fall out but he never had a lot to begin with anyway.

~~~

On the third morning, Yan came into the study to find John already awake. He had climbed out of bed all by himself. Now he was sitting by the window in his wheelchair, looking out.

Yan made her way over. She sat down on the coffee table beside him. "Hey, how are you feeling?" She smiled at him.

John smiled back. "A little better, I think. A little more stable."

She went and got some equipment. She took his temperature, and then checked him out in other ways too. "So…um…sir, I don't mean to…"

"It's all right, Yan." He shook his head. "I don't mind you asking. I've been asking myself the same things but…" He bent his head and sighed. "…I still don't know where he's gone."