Chapter Six

Chapter Six

"For the last time, it's nothing, a scratch!" Guy batted Meg's hand away.

"It is not a scratch! I realise you aren't mortally wounded but if you don't let me clean and dress these properly, they could become infected."

"Meg, my place is out there, with the people."

"No, your place is in here, getting your wounds treated!"

Robin stood by the castles portcullis and observed the pair where they sat on the castles steps with interest. Finally Gisborne had found someone able to stand up to him and, for all his complaining and tough talk, Guy was making no attempt to disobey her.

"You can stop your bickering," Robin called over to them as he approached. "The fights over."

"What happened?" Guy stood up.

"We won."

"We won?" Guy asked. "We beat a professionally trained army with peasants and fire bombs?"

"Great, isn't it?" Robin grinned. "The Greek fire turned the tide in our favour. Right now the few who remain alive are running for the hills."

"And Vaisey?"

"Kate finished him off with one of Lou's throwing stars."

"The Sheriff is gone," Guy said softly.

"Now will you stop slapping my hands away and let me dress your wounds?" Meg sounded exasperated but she was wearing a huge smile.

Guy didn't seem to hear her so she tugged his jacket off and did it anyway.

"How is he?" Tuck asked her as he made his way over to them.

"They're nasty but not fatal. I think the leather helped stop them penetrating too deeply."

"Good."

"So what happens now?" Guy asked.

"We feast," Robin answered with an excited glint in his eyes. He climbed to the top step then turned to the others in the courtyard and raised his voice "We have won a victory today my friends, not just for ourselves and Nottingham but for truth, for justice and for the King for England! And tonight, in honour of our victory, we will put on the biggest celebration Nottingham has ever seen and everyone's invited!"

The crowd cheered.

The other outlaws were slowly making their way over to Robin and while the people celebrated around them, Robin issued a new set of orders.

"Much, go fetch the women and children from the forest. Kate, inform the kitchen they're catering for a party tonight, I want enough food to feed ten armies, and ask about setting some tables out in the streets. Tuck and John, see if you can erect a temporary bridge outside the main gate. Allan, when you worked for Guy, I don't suppose you found out where the Sheriff kept his ale?"

"Of course," Allan grinned.

"Good. Bring up as much ale, wine, port and what ever else he's got hidden away."

"What about me?" Guy asked.

"Sit still and do as Meg says."

Guy smiled. "Aye, sir."

"Good," Robin smiled then turned back to the crowd. "And if anyone needs a job, find one of my men and help them set up."

By early evening the streets of Nottingham around the castle were lined with tables and torches. Barrels of the castles mead and wine were positioned throughout the celebrations and fires had been started around the town to cook boar and venison over while the kitchen sent out loaf after loaf of fresh bread. Groups of musicians had gathered to play, and even though they weren't very good, the people danced.