The Bond

“Checkmate.” Acesah said as his bishop captured Evelyn’s king.

“Again?” Evelyn asked, groaning and leaning back in her seat.

Acesah chuckled and then went to reset the board and ready it for play again. “You get better with age.”

“Well how old are you?” Evelyn leaned forward and asked him.

Acesah picked up Lana’s queen from his pile of captured pieces and held it out to her. “Now that is a well guarded secret.” He said as Lana reached over and took her white piece. “And one that shall stay that way.”

“Okay, but are we going to play again?”

Acesah nodded. “Until you win.”

Evelyn stared at him, aghast. “But that could take ages.” She protested.

“Then you best get started now.”

Evelyn grumbled but nonetheless moved to play. She looked at her board for a bit and then decided to move her utmost right pawn two places forward.

Acesah grabbed his left knight and was about to move it when the sound of breaking wood suddenly came from behind Evelyn. They both turned around to see a sword sticking out of the door.

“What are you doing?” A voice asked from the other side of the door. “You could have just tried the lock.”

“This is more fun.” Another voice replied as he pulled the sword out from the door and set about destroying the old wooden door. When he believed that the door had suffered sufficient damage and lifted his foot and kicked the rest in.

“Now that was wonderful exercise.” The man said as he walked through the door he just destroyed, he was much too tall for the doorframe so he was forced to duck to get through.

“Just make sure you didn’t tire yourself out.” His much shorter friend said, scowling at him as he followed through the door.

The tall man scratched his blond beard. “Nah I’m fine.”

“Better be.” His partner said, and then turned to face Evelyn and Acesah. “We have orders to kill every man, women and child we come upon. So unfortunately that means it’s your time to die.”

Acesah leaned back in his seat. “For that to happen I would assume you would have to reach me.”

The shorter man showed Acesah his teeth, tightened his grip on his sword and ran forward. At least he tried to; all he was able to do was take a couple of step forward before he was frozen in place. At first the man had a look of complete bewilderment on his face that quickly changed to one of intense concentration as his muscles bulged as he used all his strength to try and move. But all to no avail.

“It’s your turn Evelyn.” Acesah said. Evelyn swung around to see that Acesah had moved his knight.

“Hey, whatever you are doing to my friend I’d advise you to stop.” The blond man yelled as his partner continued to strain against the invisible force holding him in place.

“Why would I do that?” Acesah asked.

The blond man brought his sword up and bunched his muscles in preparation for a strike. “I’m still here.” He said, and then he moved. But not very far before he was stopped, just like his partner, and then flung against the wall. Along with his partner, who landed on the wall right next to him.

“I think coming here was a bad idea.” The blond man said, as the pressure pushing them against the wall steadily increased.

“You’re the fool that choose this room.” The short man said. “And then you had to go and make your grand entrance by chopping down the door.”