Heartache

"So what do you want?" Asmodeus asked Evelyn as they walk into a kitchen where a flurry of activity is going on.

"I don't know, maybe some mac and cheese." She said as she sidestepped a chef carrying a tray of food rushing past her.

 Asmodeus gave her a look. "You could have anything you could possibly imagine to eat and you choose macaroni and cheese." He said, shaking his head, amused.

"Hey, you asked me what I wanted; well I wanted mac and cheese. Don't complain."

He laughed. "Okay I won't." He reached out and grabbed a cook that was walking by. "Could you prepare some macaroni and cheese."

  The cook looked offended at this request. "I have cooked for kings; I am not going to cook some poor person's pasta for a little human girl." He said contemptuously, throwing Evelyn a look of disgust.

Asmodeus growled and grabbed the cook by his throat. "I was not asking." He said lifting the cook off the ground. "You are going to make the food, am I understood?" Asmodeus asked, squeezing his throat.

The cook nodded frantically, turning a little blue.

"Good." Asmodeus said, setting the cook down. Once his feet were on the ground he turned and ran toward the nearest stove.

"That was completely unnecessary." Evelyn said quietly, as Asmodeus struggled to contain his anger.

"Really, I think it was." Asmodeus said, putting a hand on her back and guided her out of the kitchen and into the dining hall where there was a large amount of people eating. All of whom looked up at their entrance and stared at them with uncomfortable intensity.

"Sit." Asmodeus said once they reached an empty table, with no hint of the temper he had displayed earlier.

Evelyn studying his face, finding no trace of anger he displayed earlier, sat down, still feeling the stares boring into her back.

"Do they always stare like that?" Evelyn asked Asmodeus once he sat down, while fidgeting in her seat, nervous under the weight of all those stares.

Asmodeus lifted his head and looked around the room. By the time his eyes made their way back to Evelyn's. Conversation had restarted and Evelyn could no longer feel the stares. She stared at him, mouth agape.

 Asmodeus grinned and raised an eyebrow. This caused Evelyn to close her mouth and stare at him, puzzled. "How did you do that?"

Asmodeus grinned widened. "One of the benefits of being one of the seven rulers of Hell."

"Here is the meal." The cook from before said, placing the bowl of macaroni and cheese before Eveyln.

"Thank you." Evelyn said, smiling at him.

The cook looked down at Evelyn and wrinkled his nose in disgust. Asmodeus growled and the cook swung around to face him, paling slightly.

"W-w-will that be all?" He stammered

Asmodeus gave him a terse nod, and the cook turned tail and ran. Asmodeus looked around the room and conversations resumed.

"Care to explain?" Evelyn asked as she picked up the fork that came with the meal and started eating.

Asmodeus sighed. "That is one of the disadvantages of not only being on the seven rulers of hell but of being a demon itself."

Evelyn continued to eat as she waited for him to go on.

Asmodeus ran a hand through his hair. "In hell, for me and mine to be disrespected and for me to do nothing about it is to say that you are too weak to defend them and yourself. If you are weak, someone who wants your position or your power and believes himself to be stronger will try and kill you. So to be disrespected is to be killed. Besides cruelty is in our nature."