Chapter 2

Video of the song is at the side! ;) Enjoy!

-K.R. Evangelista

- Chapter 2 -

The next few days that followed when we arrived was great. We arrived friday night so we have the weekends to go explore our new home. Dad took us to the zoo, which I was secretly excited for. I've always wanted to see a kangaroo and they looked so cool up close. I was just a bit scared that they might kick me in the face though. 

"Try to touch it." I looked up, and I'm sure there was a horrified expression on my face as my dad laughed when he saw it.

I shook my head but glanced at the kangaroo again. It was lying down, facing away from us. I bit my lip and I swear I heard my parents giggling behind me like little kids. I slowly moved my hand towards its body, but made the mistake of producing a sound that came from the dried leaves I've stepped at as I tried to move closer.

My body froze automatically as the kangaroo's head turned to stare at me. Its legs twitched a little so I braced myself for the kick, but the pain never came. Instead, the kangaroo stared at me for a second longer before it suddenly hopped away from us, leaving me open mouthed in shock. My parents started laughing out loud while looking at me, probably laughing because of what just happened.

I shook my head and stood up. "Well that was... unexpected." I muttered, shaking my head a bit as I walked away and continued exploring the rest of the zoo.

One thing I learned today? Kangaroos are weird.

On Sunday we went out to the city to buy some things that we need. I bought a bag together with a few notebooks and pens for school, which I'm going to go to starting tomorrow. School is bound to get a little weird, seeing as I have to continue on year 11 because I left in the middle of the school year back in America. Plus I don't know if their way of teaching will be different in here.

Well, I'm sure I would stick out like a sore thumb as well. I'm not exactly a social butterfly so making new friends would be tough. And I know it will be a shock to get a new student at this time of the year. The school year is actually finishing soon, only 2 months left, so I have tons to catch up on if I want to move on to year 12 by February.

 It was a tiring day touring the city so I went to take a shower as soon as we got home. I hit the bed after drying my hair but it seems sleep was still avoiding me. I had to listen to some music to distract me from the weird sounds coming from the trees swaying due to the wind. A familiar song played and I felt my breath hitch at my throat.

I see you, beside me

It's only a dream

A vision of what used to be

The laughter, the sorrow

Pictures in time

Fading to memories

I wanted to hit the stop button of the song, I really do, but my fingers were paralyzed. It was like time stopped for a moment as memories started replaying in my head. Memories I've always carefully locked in the back of my mind, trying my best to forget them.

"Everything about us was just a mistake."  His voice. This was the hardest to forget. Every once in a while, there would be something that would remind me of something that he said in the past. But I don't want to remember it and I don't want to hear it ever again. I felt a painful pang in my heart again as I closed my eyes trying to shake the memories away. It didn't help that the song was still playing in the background.