Chapter 1

Hi people! This story's first few chapters has been published before by my friend but I'm taking over it now. I hope you like it and please support it or tell me your opinions! Vote and comments are much appreciated. Thanks a lot!~

-K.R. Evangelista

- Chapter 1 -

I stretched my limbs as soon as my feet hit the ground of the Australian airport we just landed at. It felt good  to be moving around again after being stuck on a plane for 7 hours straight. The plane we were in was a bit small so we were really cramped up in there. I retrieved our suitcases and put it in a cart then followed the arrows pointing towards the exit where my dad would be waiting for my mom and I.

Let me introduce myself first. My name is Keira, but most people just call me Kei. It sounds like a boyish name but strange enough, I do like it. I used to live in America, until one month ago, my dad was finally able to petition us to come here and live with him.

It was a bit tough at first, as I had to drop out of school and my mom had to resign from her work. It wasn't easy leaving the place I called home for the last 17 years of my life. But I can't say I wasn't happy to leave, because a big part of me wanted to leave that place and forget the memories that comes with it.

Shaking my head as I remembered something unpleasant, I wound through the throng of people heading for the exit as well, making sure to keep an eye on my mom who was lagging a bit behind me.

When we finally got out, I skipped on scanning the small crowd in front of me, instead, I looked over the seats at the left side of the arrival area.

I saw my dad's familiar face and immediately pointed out his direction to my mom. We both moved towards him but I let my mom move ahead of me. She rushed towards him, eager to meet again after a year of being apart. They kissed and hugged, then my dad focused his attention on me.

"Hey kiddo. You seem to have grown since I've last seen you!" I offered him a small smile.

Due to my dad always working overseas for our future, I wasn't that close to him. So when he hugged me, it was kind of awkward. I pulled away quickly and I even saw my mom throw a look at me. I ignored it though and just gave the control of the cart I was pushing to my dad.

We headed out to the parking lot and I was surprised to find it was really cold. Apparently it was just the end of the winter season so it can't be helped that it's still chilly. It was my mistake to assume it would be around summer season here so I didn't bother wearing a jacket.

I shivered and we all hurried towards my dad's car. After a few minutes of enjoying the heater inside the car, we started the travel back to my new home. Mom and dad was talking but I tuned them out, too sleepy to care on what they were talking about. Moments later, I was out like a light.

The sleep felt like it only lasted for a few minutes, when I was actually asleep for more than one hour. I hauled myself out of the car and stared at the house in front of me. It was a duplex house, which we thankfully shared with only a couple with no children. The house looked plain and a bit old, but from what I was told before the rooms were big which is definitely good.

I took a moment to study the house further. It felt so foreign to me, and I somehow knew it would take a long time before I can go to sleep as I am not used to sleeping in another house plus the fact that I can't sleep without even a little light on. I brought my suitcase with me and followed my dad into the house.

He led me to a room at the very back of the house, overlooking a little garden at the back. The room was pretty bare, with only a cabinet, a bed, and two shelves on each side of the bed. A small lampshade was perched on the top of the smaller shelf and I smiled a bit as my dad still remembered the fact that I'm scared of the dark.

"Sorry if the room is not that furnished yet. I thought I'll leave it up for you to fix." He had a sheepish smile on his face and his tone indicated that he was unsure on whether I would like my room or not. But I did like it, so I returned back the smile. 

"I like it dad, thanks. And thanks for the lampshade as well." He let out a small laugh. 

"No worries kiddo. Go to bed soon, leave the unpacking for tomorrow." I nodded at that. He closed my door as he went out of the room. I opened my suitcase to take out pajamas for tonight and a pillow I specially bought back home.

As soon as I changed my clothes, opened the lampshade and laid down on my bed, I was surprised to find myself falling asleep already, thinking of what tomorrow awaits.