Forever and a Day

-Prologue-

"I'm leaving."

"Where to?" My voice came out even and calm, betraying the storm raging inside me.

"Somewhere far away. Far enough that I would never get to see you again." His voice matched the calmness of mine, somehow sounding monotone even.

I glanced at him, disbelief clearly shown on my face at his answer. He was leaning on a tree, looking everywhere apart from me. I felt my eyes starting to moisten and I know I have to look away. Tons of questions are popping up in my head but I only had the courage to ask one.

"Why?" My voice finally cracked, unable to keep the calm facade going.

There was a short silence, before I heard his answer in a tone laced with determination.

"Because I have to." He didn't offer any more explanation apart from that. Instead, he pushed himself off the tree and started to walk away, not even sparing me a single glance. Tears are now silently cascading down my face but I didn't bother to wipe it away. I cannot just let him go, not in this way.

"But what about us?" I whispered, and I regret asking that as soon as I heard his answer.

He stopped walking to look back at me, and as I saw his eyes at that moment, I know he wasn't the man I loved anymore.

"Everything about us was just a mistake." And without further ado, he turned his back to me and briskly walked away, leaving me alone to pick up the pieces of my shattered heart.