Book 3 Chapter III - Explanations

Chapter 21 - Explanations

"I don't know how much you already know, and I'm not sure how to explain this in a way that won't make you think I'm insane..." David began. For what was practically the first time in his life, he had no idea what to do. Or rather, he knew what to do, but he didn't know how to go about it.

"I woke up in a mansion, met a Grim Reaper-wannabe, found a friend who was kidnapped a month ago, escaped with her through an underground river, and was attacked by a werewolf," Miss Tamari said, with surprising calmness. "After that, you can say anything you like and I won't think you're insane."

"In that case, snow is black," David retorted, just to prove her wrong.

"...I asked for that, didn't I."

"Yes, you did. Anyway, since you already know werewolves exist, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise when I tell you vampires exist." He paused. "And... I am one."

She thought about this. "That explains a few things. Are you the vampire who drank my blood that time I ended up in hospital?"

"Yes," he said at last. "Will you let me start from the beginning and go on to that?"

She half-nodded. He took this as a "yes".

"To cut a long story short, vampires and werewolves are both what humans call aliens. I am a vampire, and so is the person who kidnapped you, who you described as a 'Grim Reaper-wannabe'." He almost smiled at the nickname and made a mental note to use it to Terror's face if ever he saw her. "Her name is Lady Terror De Mon."

"That's what she called herself," Danielle (wait, when had he started to think of her as that?) said dubiously. "I thought she just made it up on the spur of the moment."

"Some vampires have rather odd names, by human standards. But never mind about that now."

And so, haltingly at first, he told her about how he had killed his father (he took care to emphasise how badly that deceased and unlamented person had treated him and his siblings) in self-defense, and tried to explain to the authorities that it wasn't murder, but had been unsuccessful and had to flee or face prison.

"But killing someone's wrong for any reason!" Danielle objected.

"There are some people who deserve to die. Suppose... Suppose a boy gets involved with criminals, and when his parents find out he kills them. And then when the people who took him in find out, they decide the only thing they can do is report the matter to the police."

The Colonel had phoned the Chief of Police about the murders of Danielle's sibling's guardians early this morning, and told the rest of the team what had happened. They had yet to decide how to break the news about this and her parents' deaths to the girl, but that didn't stop David hinting at it so it would (hopefully) be less of a shock to her.

"And the boy decides to get revenge for the arrests of his friends by killing his guardians in the middle of the night and trying to kill someone who witnessed it. He deserves to die for those crimes, wouldn't you agree?"

"Yes..." she said relucantly.

"Cross!"

The vampire almost jumped out of his skin.

Colonel Brown beckoned him over to where he and Mrs. Brown were standing, near the door.

"Don't tell her about that!" Mrs. Brown said in a harsh whisper. "We have to break it to her gently!"

"And what do you think she'll say when she finds out you knew all along and didn't tell her? You're going the right way to turn the child against you, whether you mean to or not."