Chapter 15 - What will soon happen

How could I have been so reckless? He always shows up every night. He’s never missed a night ever since Mom died. He always shows up! God, how could I have forgotten about my dad? I remembered him when Zero was around hoping that my dad wouldn’t show up but why didn’t I think about it when I was with Takuma? I did think of my dad showing up. Then why didn’t I take action? Why didn’t I tell Takuma the truth and tell him he had to go?

               “D-d-d-daddy, he’s my friend!” I honestly tell him, getting off the couch making the distance between us further apart and for me to be closer to my bedroom. Plus the fact a vampire is in between us. I’m kind of hedging my bets on Takuma defending me here.

               “Oh really?” My dad says, glaring at Takuma. “So, ‘friend’ what are you doing in my house?”

               “We were going shopping.” He replies, smiling.

               “You finally make a friend and he ends up being gay. Well do-“

               “Sir, I’m not gay.” Takuma interrupts, standing up. He just about towers over my father but it doesn’t psych my father out, in fact he tries to square up to him. “There’s a ball that we’ve been asked to go to so I asked Chika if she wanted to go shopping for a dress.”

               “So you can rape her while she’s in the changing room?”

               “Dad,” I shout, “Takuma would never do that.”

               “Chika, you are so stupid. Guys, especially his age, just think one thing when they see a vulnerable, naïve little shit like you-“

               “You shouldn’t talk to your daughter like that, sir.” Takuma interrupts. Oh no, this isn’t going to be good. He’s interrupted him twice in a matter of seconds. No one does that to Jonathan Isaac Hayes. Neither his boss nor his colleagues back chat him. And I don’t! I wouldn’t dare to.

               “I can talk to my daughter as I’d like to.” My dad shouts at him. “Teriyaki you can’t just walk into my house and think it’s okay to talk to me. You are nothing to me if you are my daughter’s friend. That thing does not deserve to know of kindness or love because she killed mine.”

               “I understand you loved her, sir-“

               “You have no idea how much I loved Aya. You think young love is the same thing but it’s not. You think it’s like everyone else’s love but it isn’t. I have not set eyes on another woman after her because she is still here, she is still with me. People move on, find another and fall in love again but I just can’t. So don’t tell me you understand my love for her, you impotent wanker!” Awkwardness filled the penthouse as my dad and Takuma have a face off. I know my dad was holding back the urges to hit me because he’s becoming impatient, his hands are flexing too much and his jaw keeps jumping. I know this time I’m going to be in serious shit because I’ve completely gone against his word and his image of me being alone, feeling no compassion. Once we went to school for like parent teacher meeting and this one kid said ‘Hi’ to me. Never again did I play with him, the kid, after that as I’m sure you can guess why! “I think you should leave.”

               Takuma’s jaw opens to protest but closes again. Dropping his head he walks out of the apartment like a dog that has just been told off. Well, I guess the cavalry just died and now only the foot soldier with a dagger reminds against the ‘father tank’.

               “Well Chika, I’m glad he’s gone.”

               “So you can kill me, father.”

               “That will happen in a matter of time, my thousand summers.”

               “I am not yours, Daddy.” I spit. I want to run but I know his adrenalin’s pumping so his reaction times quicker. I want to run but where to? I don’t know where any of the vampires live or the headmaster. I could live on the streets but that would be worse than here. I’ve heard about things that happen to teenage runaways in the streets on New York and it’s so much worse than what happens in 903 Penbrooke House, 5th Avenue.

               “I think you’ll find that you are mine for another year, you ungrateful bitch.” My dad yells. He rushes over to me and punches me in the stomach. One punch and I’m winded, great. “I’ve shown you that life isn’t fair, Chika, you should be grateful.”

               “Why would…I be…grateful to have…a bastard of a father?” I comment, struggling to speak.

               Another punch to the stomach and I’m on the floor. I know my dad is like 42 but he is so strong. Ever since that day, he’s been using the gym in the basement. Lifting weights, rowing, anything that will help him beat the shit out of me. My dad’s not huge in the muscle department and to everyone else you wouldn’t think so but with every blow you can tell. While he’s getting stronger and stronger, I’m getting weaker by the second.

               He grabs a handful of my hair and yanks me off the ground, lifting me by my hair. I little scream escapes my mouth as he rams me into the wall. “Now you listen to me, bitch.” My dad mumbles, getting right in my face. “I have put a roof over your head for the past 17 years. I’ve given you food and water. I’ve given you everything so don’t call me ungrateful.”

               “Then stop hurting me.” I whisper.

               “Chika,” he says, stroking my face. He used to do that when I was upset, to comfort me, to show he was there for me but then when these beast took over my dad this stroking of the face turned into a menacing, intimidating one. He does not have the desire to comfort me anymore. He does not have the desire to treat me as his own flesh and blood. I’m so alone in this world now that I know the tank is soon going to roll over me, crushing me to my death. I’ve never really thought about dying until now but I don’t want to. I’ve awakened into this new world where vampires are my only friends and are the only monsters that show my kindness. I’ve finally become alive that I don’t want it to end. “Chika, look at me.” I don’t I start to kick and punch but don’t hit him. I try to escape but his grasp on my hair is too tight. Stupid me for growing it long! His free hand grips around my neck, where Kaname’s invisible on was.  “You know why I do this to you. You know I could of killed you all those times before.”

               “What stopped you?”

               “You were just a child. I’m not mean enough to kill a child. But now, Chika, you are a young adult so you can be easily discarded and I won’t feel any grief if I kill you.”

               “So what’s stopping you?”

               “I don’t want to do it in the house where you mother exists. She wouldn’t allow that not after what you did to her. So I’m going to hire someone to do my dirty work. Let them have their own fun with you because, Chika,” My dad whispers and goes to my ear gripping tighter on my neck, “it’s my payback time and I don’t care what they do to you. I just hope it’s when you’re alive so you can feel the pain inflicted on you!”

               He lets me go and I quickly scurry to my room.