Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

I knocked on Ruby's door a couple of minutes later. After Ben had remembered my name, I stopped and turned around. He was smiling, not smirking like every other guy would have done in this situation. He was genuinely smiling.

"Did you not think I would remember you? The English Prodigy?"

English Prodigy? Willow an English Prodigy? He is severely mistaken

I shook my head, I never, not once expected him to remember me.

He laughed then. I tried not to react to how beautiful it sounded because I wasn't in the mood of developing a crush, let alone, a crush on my friend's brother. That would be too cliché.

"Well, thank you for helping Ruby with her English. I would have helped her but I was away." He said, a faint smile still visible on his face. After he said that he went into was gone and I continued towards ruby's room.

"Come in" Ruby said from the other side of the door. I opened the door slowly, mentally wincing at the slight creek it made whilst opening.

Ruby was on her bed; pen in one hand and her hand was flying across the page.

"Hi Ruby" I say and close her door before sitting on the edge of her bed next to her. Her eyes widened, alarmed until she realized it was me.

"Oh hey willow, what are you doing here?" She smiled at me.

Wait, she seems fine, why does she seem fine?

I must have looked really puzzled because she laughed.

Okay, what was it with this family and there nice laughs!

"You were probably asking me why I wasn't at school, weren't you?" I nod and she put her notebook into her bedside drawer and faced me.

"Well, I'm guessing you've seen Ben. Well, he's back, and my parents think I'm invisible whenever he's back. And to be honest, I just wanted to feel visible to my parents until Ben came back. Now, because Ben's back I'm invisible and there is nothing I can do about it." Tears swelled up in her eyes.

I never knew Ruby felt like this, she always seemed so put together. She hid her emotions well, better than I ever could.

With this newfound information I felt extremely guilty. I had always believed that everyone was so well put together except me, but now, I know that no matter how strong people may seem, they're actually breaking inside.

"I'm Sorry" Would not be the best thing to say. I hate it when people would say that to me. They didn't do anything wrong yet they're saying sorry for something they didn't do.

"I...I didn't know." She shrugged.

"Yeah well, I tend not to tell people my problems. I don't like people feeling sorry for me...Oh, by the way, please don't feel sorry for me."

"Don't worry I won't" And it was her turn to look puzzled.

"Why?"

"Well-"
I was interrupted by the horrific creek of Ruby's door.
Ben popped his head around it and smiled.
"Ruby and Willow, I'm ordering pizza do you want anything?" And that sentence somehow turned Ruby into a three year old.

She was jumping all over the place. I looked at Ben and his face lit up with amusement.

So this was what sibling were meant to be like

"Yes! Yes! Yes! I want pizza! I want The usual!" That's when Ben laughed.

I was quite tempted to put my fingers into my ear, to stop the melody from corrupting my mind, but I didn't, instead I lowered my gaze onto my hands unaware that a faint smile was creeping onto my face.
"Okay Ruby, calm down. Willow? Do you want anything?" My head snapped up

"I'll have anything, I don't mind. Thank you" I was surprised at how quiet my voice had come out.

Ben nodded and he was gone once more.

And just like that, the whole depressing subject was forgotten, buried underneath laughter and bubbly conversation. I was glad, because to be honest, I still wasn't ready to let anyone into my broken life, no matter how much I know I can trust them.
I just can't trust myself enough to let people in.