Chapter Six

Chapter Six

At school again, in English again. But Ruby wasn't there. She hadn't been in school since Tuesday and I was getting worried. It was already obvious that something was up, on Monday when she had turned up, she looked as stressed as ever, and I definitely knew it had nothing to do with School.

I was planning on stopping over at her house to check up on her, I needed to start being a better friend to her instead of the crap one I was being seen as right now. I knew I wanted to help her, but I was never able to actually do the act.

Right now in english though, we were meant to be righting a poem. Normally this would be quite easy for me. Seemingly because writing poetry was a weekend tradition for me, but right now, I was completely stuck for ideas. I couldn't even remember any previous poems I had written. I had a severe case of writers block.

I stared at the a blank page of my book. Hoping that if I stared at the lined A4 sheet that it would somehow fill with words. Unfortunately it didn't.

I picked up my pen and wrote the first thing that came into my head
Dad
My eyes widened as I read what I had just wrote. No, I wasn't going to write about Dad, not in school. Not where  a teacher would see my work.
I scribbled the word out and wrote another word
Darkness
I smiled, Darkness was the easiest thing I could write about. I began to write.

At the end of the lesson I had filled my whole page with words. I leaned back on my chair and smiled. It felt nice, actually being good at something.

The bell rang then and I packed my bag before rushing out of the door. I needed to get to Ruby's house.

"Hey Willow! Where the hell are you going?!" I huffed and turned, coming face to face with Charles.

"To see a friend." I say and was about to turn back around but his hand grasped the top of my arm, holding me back.

"That Ruby chick? you know, she's really fit."

Is he being serious right now?!

"Thank you for sharing your opinion." I said cooly and wriggled out of his grasp before walking in the direction I was going before Charles had interrupted me.

I headed to the school gates after going to my locker. I was still worried, I had know idea if anything had happened to Ruby whilst she was absent. I was such a good friend, not checking up on her until 3 days later. I know I was only trying to get a hold of this whole friendship situation, but that wasn't really an excuse. I knew something was up with ruby and I still did absolutely nothing about it.

Finally I got to her door, rung the door bell and waited.

A couple of minutes later it opened and there stood an unfamiliar middle aged women. She was Ruby's mum though, you would tell this by her green eyes, and small button nose.

"Can I help you?" She asks, a strained smile plastered across her face.

"Um...Yeah I-"

"Oh, You must be here for Ben! I have no idea how you knew he was back but I'll go and call him." And she was gone.

I didn't even have time to correct her. She now thought that I was a friend of Ben's, it was going to be embarrassing when Ben comes down and realises that it was me.

"Hey." I look up and see Ben. He wasn't actually looking at me, his eyes were staring off into the distance. He looked distracted.

"Um hi, your mum thought I was here for you but...I was here from Ruby...your sister." I said whilst scratching the back of my neck.

Now this was not the scenario I was hoping for, I hoped Ruby would one the door and I would somehow make her feel better. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and I was standing outside explaining to her 'mysterious brother' that his mum had misinterpreted the reason I was here.

I looked briefly at his face and saw his eyes widen, obviously registering what I had just said. He glanced down at me, making me feel extremely small because of his abnormal height. Momenterally I managed to get a good look at his face, it was long, well sculpted, he had high cheekbones and unnaturally coloured eyes. They looked almost purple with tiny flecks of gold dotted around each iris.

"Oh, Okay. Sorry, Steph does that, She's weird. yeah come in, Ruby's in her room, I think." He opened the front door wider so I could step into the house. I mumbled a thank you before slipping my shoes off and making my way up the stairs.

"It's good to see you again, Willow" And I stopped dead in my tracks.