Who Gives a Damn if We Lose the War?

"Are you okay?"

I'm answered with a surprisingly childish-sounding squeak. Following the sniffles and shakes, I feel my hands for Party's bunk, reaching the edge of the mattress. I'm nervous. What do I say to him? I'm not in the position to ask him what's wrong, so how do I help?

Finding his eyes, which I can see barely in the dark, I see Party nod for me to sit beside him. The covers underneath me, I'm silent.

Suddenly, his hand grabs mine, and I'm startled, but don't pull away. The tight grasp lets me know Party's far from alright.

"I'm seeing it all over again. Everything is back, in full color." He whispers. What?

"W-What are you seeing?" I ask carefully.

He doesn't quite answer my question, but speaks in fragmented "Oh shit- no, your mother, she didn't- RUN! Bunny, run...- I can't," This is the only thing I can quite decipher, and it's practically gibberish. The terrified, helpless look on Party's face makes me wish so badly that I could help him. That I could say or do something to comfort him.

The most painful part is that it reminds me so terribly of Kid. I can't do anything to fix either of them.

"Party," I reach over and touch his shoulder, his grasp on my hand loosens only slightly. "Can you tell me what's wrong? You don't have to. I want to help you."

But I'm only met with silence. Party doesn't even look up. He looks so much smaller as he slumps against the wall. I only see the red of his hair for a long few minutes until he shudders.

Party meets my eyes. He whispers, "I can't. I can't ever wake up. Everything that's happened, I can't leave this. It was never a dream. I'm awake."

I can't help how bewildered I look. My desire to be of use is overwhelming, but what do I do? Party straightens himself up and holds my hand again, "Listen, I'm sorry. I really am. I shouldn't have acted out. I shouldn't have woken someone." He sighs and buries his face in his hands.

"You can't apologize for this," I do my best to reassure him. "You didn't do anything wrong. I just wish I could do something to help, you know?"

Party looks up again. "I wish- I- I can't. You should get some sleep. We have plans to make and corruptors to destroy." He ruffles my hair as if I was a small child and flashes a tiny smile. A horribly fake smile.

"Are you sure you're going to be alright, Party?" I ask cautiously.

"Just perfect, I promise." He assures me. "Now, off to bed." Party motions me to sleep, and I have no choice but to oblige. I silently step back to my area on the floor, pulling the blanket over my body. I keep an ear on Party, however. I can't help but be concerned, it's probably years of being excessively worried about Kid. And he about me, of course.

After a few minutes of hearing nothing but snoring, I assume Party has fallen asleep. But moments before I drift off, the tiniest whisper comes from the bunk left of me.

"Sleep tight and carry on, Little Girl. We'll find your mom, I promise".

*** *** ***

I snap from my restless sleep immediately. The visions of explosions and screaming fade into a silent haze, and it leaves me in a fit of cold sweat. I wish I could recall exactly what I just saw, only for the sake of deciphering it. But I can't. I've never dreamt in black and white before. That's the only distinguished thing I can recall.

The memories from last night do not hesitate to flood back. Party and his meltdown. His broken words. And what he whispered just before I fell asleep. Something I probably shouldn't have heard. What was he seeing in his head? Who's the little girl?