Medical Issues

There are many medical conditions that you as a horse owner should be aware of. Of course, your veterinarian can advise you in cases of serious illness in your horse, but I'm going to touch on a few conditions here that you might come across and be able to identify. I've already talked about laminitis (see Hoof Care), so I won't deal with that here. This section is to help you be more likely to spot a problem and seek expert assistance early enough for prompt treatment.

Colic is one of the illnesses to strike fear into the hearts of horse owners everywhere. Colic isn't actually an illness in itself, rather it is a symptom of illness. Colic is a general term for stomach or intestinal pain in the horse. A horse suffering from colic may exhibit many outward signs: sweating, looking around at or trying to kick at the flank or stomach area, laying down and getting up repeatedly, rolling, or excessive stamping of the feet. They may seem to strain to defecate but nothing happens.

Colic is a medical emergency! Call your vet right away. While you're waiting, the best thing you can do is to keep your horse calm and walk him. If you have access to a trailer, try to load him (don't force your horse onto a trailer); sometimes even just seeing the trailer might make your horse defecate. This may relieve some discomfort. Don't let your horse roll over! This may cause the stomach to twist on itself and put your friend in danger. But if your horse fusses too much about being walked, don't force him. Keep him (and yourself) calm.

When your vet arrives, he or she may give your horse a shot, maybe Banamine (this is what I was given once when I had colic). This is a pain reliever and smooth muscle relaxer and may help decrease intestinal cramping. Your vet will also do an examination of your horse and ask questions to help determine the cause of your horse's discomfort. Any recent changes in diet, deworming, or vaccinations, as well as any "accidents" relating to feed (say, your horse broke into the feed bucket a day or two ago) should be reported to the vet.

You can decrease the chances of your horse suffering from colic by making feed changes slowly, starting with small amounts and working your way to a full feeding amount, keeping plenty of forage available, having plenty of fresh water, and locking up all grains and feed supplements. Horses love apples and carrots, as well as store-bought horse treats, but don't feed your horse too many treats. Save them to use as rewards for a job well done.

Your horse may, at times, develop runny eyes or nose, sometimes coinciding with a change in the weather. Like us, horses are susceptible to many kinds of common infections, similar to the human cold. This is nothing to be concerned about, unless it persists for days or is accompanied by other signs of illness, such as refusal to eat, listlessness, fever, or anything else that might be unusual behavior for your horse. If ever in doubt, contact your vet.

Rain rot is a condition commonly found in horses that are neglected. Rain rot is caused by a fungal growth on the skin. Regular grooming is the best preventative measure. Rain rot will cause patches of hair to fall out, generally along the horse's back and rump, but it can occur anywhere. Treatment includes good grooming practices and application of medicated shampoo and/or topical antifungal creams.

Equine Infectious Anemia is a very serious, and highly contagious, infectious disease of horses. In order for horses to cross state lines, sometimes even county lines, participate in many competitions, and even be stabled at certain places, you must have proof of a recent Coggins test, proof that your horse has tested negative for EIA. This disease is often spread in stables through contaminated feed and water. There are a number of treatments, but no vaccine for EIA, and infected horses usually die eventually from the disease. If you're planning on moving your horse anywhere outside your county, ask your vet for Coggins requirements in the area you're planning to go.

I've already talked about rabies, tetanus, West Nile, and rhino in another section (see Vaccination), but another common disease your horse may catch is called Strangles (sometimes called distemper by old timers). Strangles presents with high fever, loss of appetite, and clear, watery nasal discharge. Your horse may also cough. Often strangles affects young horses, but older horses can get it if they have no previous immunity to it. In recent years, there has been a vaccine developed. Ask your vet if your horse shows any of the symptoms of illness.

Learn how to take your horse's vital signs, and practice doing so occasionally. Like people, horses have a normal range of pulse, respiration, and temperature. Normal pulse at rest should be 36-40 beats per minute, normal respiration at rest should be 8-10 breaths per minute, and normal temperature should be 99°-100.5°F/37.2°-38°C. Remember, these are averages, and some horses may naturally be slightly higher or lower than the average.

To take your horse's pulse, you can use a stethoscope or your hand at the girth, just behind your horse's elbow, and count the beats of the heart for 15 seconds, then multiply by 4. You can also find the pulse at the large artery under the lower jaw as well as at the joint running down the front leg at either side of the foot.

To get your horse's respiratory rate, just count how many times her chest moves in and out, for 15 seconds. Then, multiply that by 4. Remember, vital signs should be taken at rest, rather than after a workout or exertion.

For temperature, you'll need a thermometer specific for horses. You can buy these from feed stores or online, or make one yourself using a standard thermometer. The main thing to worry about is that your thermometer have a string with a clip attached to the end, so that it can be clipped to your horse's tail. You wouldn't want to lose the thermometer in your horse's rectum; I guarantee he wouldn't be happy about that! Tie your horse and make sure he is calm. Insert the thermometer under the tail carefully, making sure the bulb sits on the wall of the rectum, and leave it be for several minutes. Then you can remove the thermometer and check the reading. Always make sure to clean your thermometer with warm soapy water (NEVER hot) and/or rubbing alcohol after each use.

There are, of course, many other types of conditions that could possibly affect your horse. This is why it's so important for you, as a horse parent, to know your horse and be able to spot anything out of the ordinary for your horse. Observe him whenever you can, just out in the pen grazing, drinking, rolling around, and whatever he may be doing naturally. By learning his "normal" behavior, the way he walks, sleeps, lays down, rolls, gets up, and so on, you'll be better able to know what's not normal for your friend. Many issues, if found early enough, can be more easily treated. Your horse can't talk to you and tell you how she's feeling; it's your responsibility to know when something isn't right.

Horses live outside, and so are prone to cuts, bruises, and accidents. Minor cuts and scrapes can be cared for just as you would for your own injury. Cleaning with peroxide and application of a standard antibacterial cream is good for minor abrasions. Large cuts should be evaluated by your vet. If your horse is okay around water, running cool water from the garden hose over the wound while waiting for your vet will help reduce swelling and help with pain.

Any visible deformities of the limbs or back should be reported to your vet immediately! Broken legs tend to be death sentences for horses, so if you can actually see a broken limb, your horse is likely in extreme pain. Don't stress your horse, and call your vet.

Older horses can also suffer from arthritis, and you may notice stiff, swollen joints, with or without heat. Talk to your vet about medications that can help your friend deal with the consequences of getting older. Some treatments are inexpensive, and can help give your horse some quality final years.