Water

Another important requirement we horses have is water. All animals, humans included, need fresh, clean water. Horses need a lot of water! One horse in normal climate conditions (not too hot, not too cold) can drink 10-15 gallons of water in a single day. In very hot, dry conditions, we might need up to 20 gallons. And a mare who is still providing milk to her baby may need to drink up to 150 gallons of water a day!

It's not enough to just provide a pail of water. Most horses, and that includes me, won't drink water that's too stagnant or dirty. We especially won't drink water with any feces or waste material in it. And yes, I have known a horse who actually pooped in the water trough. He was an American Mustang, and I guess he wasn't used to water that didn't come from a stream!

In summer, your horse's water trough is going to attract pests. Even birds and other wildlife might use it. Algae and mosquitoes are the worst offenders. In direct sunlight, your fresh water may turn green in as little as a day or two. That's okay, but when the algae start to die off, the trough needs to be drained and cleaned. You'll know that it's time when you see brown floaters, almost looking like seaweed. Of course, if your horse spills a lot of hay or feed into the water, it will need to be changed more often. Keeping it out of direct sunlight can help keep algae down.

Automatic floats can be found at most feed stores, and they're easy to install. They start as low as $10.00. You hook them up to a standard garden hose, and hang them on the side of the trough. It operates like a toilet float, where once the water level drops below a certain point, it turns on a valve and lets the trough refill. These are somewhat adjustable. Some horses may be scared of the hissing sound it makes when it fills, but they get used to it. I used to play with mine, and it was fun to pull it out and watch the yard flood. Mom got mad, though, and she fixed hot wire around it so I couldn't grab it any more. Hot wire delivers a small electric shock as a deterrent. Some automatic watering devices replace the drain plug at the bottom of the trough, and operate by water pressure. These would be better for a horse that might play with a float.

In cold climates, winter brings a new set of watering challenges. Water freezes at 32°F/0°C, whether it's in a metal or rubber trough or a plastic bucket. Tank heaters are available in floating or drop in heaters, or ones that replace the trough plug. They resemble a coiled pipe and will help keep the water above freezing. There are different ones depending on how many gallons your trough is. Mom used one for the first time last year, and it seemed to work rather well.

Tank heaters offer another advantage. By keeping the water temperature a little higher, they encourage us to drink more water, something we're reluctant to do if water is too cold. Always use caution when bringing electricity near water! Make sure the cord you use is rated for outdoor use, and that the plugs are protected from rain and melting snow. A GFCI outlet (the same as those found in newer bathrooms and kitchens) might be a handy addition. These plugs have small breakers that will pop when the plug is exposed to water. They can easily be reset. Always keep all cords and wiring out of your horse's reach; some horses will chew on cords or pull them out. And you wouldn't want your horse to get electrocuted, or get a cord wrapped around a neck or leg, or to pull the plug out of the socket so that your device will no longer work.

Of course, your garden hose and automatic fill won't work during freezing weather. It would be a good idea to drain the tank before temperatures get to freezing, and move it as close to a water supply as you can get. Assuming you haven't gone to the trouble and expense of laying and burying water pipes to prevent freezing, you may have to bucket water to your trough. Draining and rolling up the garden hose will keep it from freezing. If you have a warmer day and your outside faucet is working, you can easily fill the trough. If not, though, you'll have to carry buckets or jugs of water from the house when the trough needs to be filled. We got lucky, and mom's laundry room has a window overlooking my pen. She simply hooked up a two-way valve to the hot water line going to the washer, so she can put a hose through the window and fill it. This also helps melt the ice in the trough and warm the water.

Providing lots of fresh, clean water to your backyard horse is extremely important to keep your friend healthy. It prevents dehydration and constipation (remember all that fiber we eat!), and is essential to cell health. To check if your horse is dehydrated, pinch some skin on the side of his neck. If it stays pinched, slowly returning to normal (called tenting, ) try warming the water. Another way to encourage your horse to drink more water is to add a fruit-flavored Gatorade® powder. This will also help replenish lost electrolytes. Mom used it on a long trailer trip when we moved from Texas to Missouri.