Vaccinations

One of the most important, and often most neglected, part of horse husbandry (horse care) is vaccination. There are many horse diseases that, once contracted, can be fatal. Vaccinating is a good way to protect your horse from these horrible diseases. Don't assume that since your horse lives alone in your yard that he cannot contract a disease; many of them can be carried by biting insects such as horse flies and mosquitoes.

My mom always gives me the shots herself, usually in the spring. They can range in price up to about $20.00, depending on the shot (one exception is the West Nile vaccine). All vaccinations (that you could give yourself) are given into a large muscle such as the side of the neck, chest, or rump. If you're unsure about giving the shots yourself, take your horse to the vet. Closely watch how it's done and ask any questions you might have. A good vet doesn't mind answering questions and educating an animal owner. Your vet can also tell you of any regional diseases in your area that you might want to vaccinate against.

Your horse's shots are as important as those given to your child, or your puppy. The main vaccines given are for tetanus, influenza, Eastern-, Western-, and sometimes Venezuelan-Encephalomyelitis (called Sleeping Sickness or blind staggers), and often Rhinopneumonitis (Equine Herpesvirus 4--often given if your horse is likely to be around other horses, especially young ones). In certain areas, you may want to add one for Potomac Fever (ask your vet if there have been any cases in your area). Horses are not generally vaccinated for rabies, though your vet can certainly give them the vaccine in case of an outbreak in wild animals in your area. West Nile vaccine is also recommended, though you most likely will have to order it or get it from your vet, and it's currently offered in a series of three shots. West Nile is a live vaccine (not killed virus) and should not be given to pregnant horses.

Your vet may recommend other vaccines depending on where you live and what sort of equine outbreaks your vet might have seen in the area. Some vaccines come in combination, like the 4-way mom usually gives me: Eastern- and Western-Sleeping sickness, tetanus, and influenza all in the same shot. These vials may be labeled as such: EEE/WEE/tetanus/influenza, or VEE if the Venezuelan strain of sleeping sickness is included (like in a 5-way). So basically, you can give the entire spring vaccination in one shot! I can tell you which way I prefer it!

Giving the shots isn't difficult, but must be done carefully. If you can't give shots right away after buying them or receiving them in the mail, store them in the refrigerator. Vaccines not kept cold can lose their effectiveness. Make sure you check expiration dates whether you buy them locally or receive them in the mail. When you do give shots, make sure to wash your hands. Follow the package directions. Sometimes all you'll need to do is pull the vaccine from the vial into the syringe. But sometimes you'll have to reconstitute the vaccine. To do this, you take the liquid from one vial into the syringe, put it into the vial containing the dry powder, shake well, then pull the mixed liquid back into the syringe.

This is where it helps to have an extra pair of hands to help you, or a sturdy tie-off post for your horse. Mom uses a screw-in O-ring screwed into the trunk of a big oak tree. But if your horse isn't used to being tied, vaccination time isn't the proper time to get him used to it. Ask for help to hold your horse. If you and/or your horse are inexperienced with shots, don't give the shot in the rump. You might get kicked. Have your helper stand on one side while you stand on the other (a handful of oats or horse treats can be useful here). Find the thick triangle of muscle about halfway up the neck. Stick the needle in (your horse will probably startle), let the horse relax, then pull slightly on the plunger. If you see blood in the syringe, you've hit a blood vessel and need to find a new location. If there's no blood, then depress the plunger. When it's empty, pull out the needle and syringe.

If you're planning on giving more than one shot (like a 4-way and a Rhino), give them in different locations. Make note of which shot went in what spot. That way, should your horse have a minor reaction, you'll know which shot was the culprit. The first time I got the rhino shot, I had a mild reaction: a marble-sized swelling at the injection site. Any unusual behavior, lack of appetite, fever or trouble breathing within 48 hours of giving a shot should be reported to your vet.

If giving your own shots, it's very important to keep good records. You can use a notebook or binder, your computer, your phone, or even order blank records forms from equine suppliers such as Jeffer's. Whatever your method, make sure you use it consistently. Make note of the date, type and brand of vaccine, the lot number, and the expiration date. It's important to have this information in case of a recall, so you'll quickly know if you have to re-administer the shot. Also, if your horse ever gets sick, your vet will need to have this same information. Mom keeps my records on the computer, using a "Pet Records" template from Microsoft Office®. She then prints the records to take to the vet or store in the lockbox in the house.

Even if your vet gives the vaccinations, it's a good idea to keep records at home as well. If your horse gets sick in the middle of the night, your vet may have to make a farm call. Then, you'll have all the records at home, which will likely be appreciated by your vet, and may help him or her eliminate some possible causes of illness.

Making every attempt to follow a good vaccination protocol will help insure the health of your backyard companion. Every spring, you should give your horse a 4-way, and, if she'll be around other horses, especially young ones, a rhino shot. If you live in an area with a long mosquito season, it's a good idea to repeat the 4-way in the fall. And any time your horse has a moderately severe wound that bleeds and remains open for a few days, you can give the tetanus shot by itself. Tetanus is extremely prevalent in your horse's environment. If you're giving the West Nile vaccination for the first time, remember it's a series of three shots, so start it in early spring. I'm not sure how any West Nile boosters (after the initial series) are given. If ever in doubt, talk to your vet!