Chapter Seven

“I guess it's time I run far, far away; find comfort in pain,

All pleasure's the same: it just keeps me from trouble.

Hides my true shape, like Dorian Gray.

I've heard what they say, but I'm not here for trouble.

It's more than just words: it's just tears and rain.” – James Blunt, Tears and Rain

     The instant the first drink went down my throat and the first joint was finished I felt better.   I hadn’t come to The Pool feeling angry or upset in any way, but I wasn’t exactly happy.  Now with my head buzzing from the alcohol and pot I felt light and airy.

      I looked over at Ziggy who was standing awkwardly next to my sitting figure. He was sipping on a bottle of Pepsi that he brought along.  I laughed to myself thinking of how big a prude he was being.  The guy had to let go sometime. He should take a few notes from Leo and me.  Now Leo knew how to have a good time.

     As soon as we had gotten off the ladder Leo walked over to some girl and took the joint right out of her hand and winked at her, taking in a long drag.  The girl only giggled and whispered something in his ear, in which he replied to with a side smirk.  Nothing else happened with the girl after that though because he returned to Ziggy and me and we made our way over to the vodka keg that was slowly starting to get busier and busier.

      This was where we now sat.  Leo and I were having a blast having a drinking contest and Ziggy looked like he was miserable.  It was a good thing that he had come along though, we needed a designated driver.

     Downing another drink I burped loudly and looked up at the insecure Ziggy.  He needed a drink.  Actually he looked like he needed a lot more than just a drink, he needed a lot of drinks. So I crawled over to the beer keg and filled up the red plastic cup I had bought from the “bartender”.

     Trying hard in my drunken and high state not to slosh any of the beer out of the cup, I crawled back army style laughing as I did so.  Leo watched me with an amused look on his face, and sipped more of his vodka and scotch. 

     Drinking tip number I forgot: To become drunk as fast as possible mix your drinks.  It really works.  Although I wasn’t one to want to get drunk at a fast pace because I liked the feeling of slowly slipping out of reality.  It made me appreciate the greatness alcohol provided for me. 

     Leo on the other hand seemed to like getting drunk as soon as possible.  He mixed drinks and drugs and I don’t have any proof that mixing drugs makes you get higher faster, it probably did. He was long gone before I even started losing grip on reality.

     When I finally made it back to Ziggy he looked down at me, a look of disappointment on his face.  Great, he looked like he was ready to start lecturing me for the twentieth time tonight about my actions.

     “Here,” I slurred, holding the cup up to him.  “Have a drink.”  I smiled at him trying my best to make it not lopsided, but due to high alcohol levels, that was near impossible.

     “There’s nothing left in there,” Ziggy answered looking down at me emotionlessly.  He put the cap back on his bottle of soda and kneeled down in front of me.  I blinked at him trying to focus on his face.  He kept moving it from side to side and it was making it hard for me to focus.

     “Stop moving your face.”  I giggled and swatted at his face, and missed.  Then I turned my attention back to the cup and turned it upside down, no liquid came out.  “What happened to it all?”