A.A.M.V.:Why Me? (Chapter 21)

Please enjoy!

COMMENT

VOTE

FAN

* * *

My heart was pounding in my ears and my vision was blurred by the moisture in my eyes.

I heard Damon's voice, he had said my name in his sleep. What I felt surging through me was something I hadn't felt since that night at the masquerade ball when I was reunited with him. Hope, and love, and the delicious tingles that only Damon brought. Life. I kept my hand over my mouth, afraid that I'd make too much noise.

It was overwhelming, everything I felt all at once. Worry and anxiety slowly began bubbling to the surface. I recalled what Mr. Mason had said about Damon's condition and how he might not be himself, that terrified me more than anything.

But I couldn't focus on that right now. I kept replaying the sound of my name from Damon's lips. It was what I needed to get me through this.

I wiped my eyes and dusted myself off, pulling myself together. I was getting into that room. How I was going to do it, quickly and quietly, I didn't know.

I grabbed the vent and tested how sturdy it was. To my relief, it seemed weak with age. I just might be able to push it out of the way.

Gathering my strength, I grabbed the vent firmly, so as not to let it fall from my grasp and pushed at it. It protested with sqeaking and I prayed no one heard, but it gave in after a minute of resistance.

It almost fell out of my grasp but I caught it quickly. I let out a sigh of relief. Then I realized, what am I supposed to do with this vent? It won't fit in here because of the frame on the outside and I can't just drop it on the floor. I leaned outside the vent space, finally able to see the room in full view.

I strained to see the bed but I saw there were curtains around the sides of the bed too. Grrr, I wanted to see Damon and those stupid curtains were blocking me!

I looked down in front of me. I had no idea how I was going to get down there. I never really snuck out back home so I had hardly any experience jumping from high levels. But to see Damon, I knew I'd do anything.

I bit my lip and looked down again. The floor was carpet so the fall wouldn't be horrible. I dropped the vent down as gently as I could and luckily it made no noise. Now for me, hopefully I'd drop in the same way.

I debated for a moment how exactly I should jump. It probably wouldn't make much difference. I just needed to do it. My body tingled with anticipation at seeing Damon again.

I hung my legs in front of me so they dangled on the wall outside of the vent. I slowly slid forward to the edge and glanced at the bed once more before I completely slid forward. I yelped and landed with a thud, along with a loud clanking.

I felt a sharp pain on my right foot and saw that I'd landed on the vent. I ignored the soreness of my body from the fall and moved my pant leg out of the way.

There was a cut there and it was bleeding quite a bit. I reached out to try and stop it when suddenly I was thrust up against a wall with breathtaking force.

I gasped and it took me a second to register what happened and my vision to clear from the slam.

It was Damon. His beautiful face was just inches from mine, his eyes were different but I couldn't put my finger on it and his scent, it mesmerized me. I breathed him in involuntarily. He held me against the wall tightly and stared at me intensely, angerly and he almost looked confused.