chapter 12

"Objection, Your Honour! This is an out rage!" My father yelled out.

I didn't say anything. My lungs felt like they ran out of air. I couldn't produce the words I needed to stay. Instead I stayed frozen. Ignoring my fathers outburst, Aiden's cocky smirk, Jack's arguing, and worst of all, Harry's pleading eyes for me to get up a defend myself.

"Rae, say something!" Harry called to me.

His voice seemed to snap me out of my thoughts. I squeezed my eyes close, my hands gripping the edge of my chair. When I opened them again, I looked around. Everyone's eyes were on me.

"I-I didn't do it." I barely whispered.

"Speak up, Ms Clarke." The judge demanded.

I took a breath; finding my courage to speak.

"He's lying. Harry and I are friends." I told the court standing up.

"Ms Clarke, can you please come into court area, and explain your story further." The judge asked.

I walked down my aisle to the small gate, separating the questioning area from the area for people to watch the whole ordeal. I unlatched lock holding the gate closed. When I stepped in, I stood just in front of the gate, not wanting to go anywhere but there.

"See, Harry and I are friends, good friends if you will. These last few weeks, all I have done was talk to him. Most of the things I talked to him about were not about the case." I told the judge.

"And how long have you and Mr Styles been friends?" She interrogated again.

I bravely stood straighter, adjusting my clothes before walking over to the defendant table. Harry looked confused for a moment. He sat up straighter in his chair; holding out his hands for me to take. I sat on his lap, crossing my legs, and setting my left arm over his shoulder. Harry smiled at me whilst his fingers played with the bottom of my shirt on my back.

"I've known about Harry for a while, but I've gotten to know the real him over a week or so ago." I boldly spoke.

My right hand travelled over to his curls, as I aimlessly played with them whist I waited for the judges reaction. I wound my finger in one, tugging it. Harry let out a low moan, small enough so only I could hear. His hand made their way to my sides, lightly digging in. I knew what was going to happen, he knew I was very ticklish. His fingers squeezed tighter, making me giggle aloud. I turned my head to the back of his neck, my mouth pressing to the skin uncovered by his shirt, trying to muffle my giggles. Harry released my sides from is ticklish grasp, his arms now wrapping around my waist.

Our little playful moment went unnoticed by the judge. Her mind elsewhere in her papers on her stand. Deciding what to with me, now that I'm in the equation.

"Alright, Ms Clarke. You and Mr Styles are obviously good friends, you're free to go back to your previous seat."

I sighed in relief, thankful I didn't have to continue on with the questioning. I gave Harry a hug around the neck, him returning one around my waist. I whispered "good luck" in his ear, before I stood walking back to my seat. As I was walked back I received many questioning glances from the many people in the courtroom. But I didn't mind, all that mattered was my dad's reaction. I looked over to him, making eye contact for a meer second. He turned around slightly shaking his head.

I didn't pay attention to the rest of the hearing. All I thought about was the hurt I caused my dad. He asked one thing from me and I did exactly what he said not to. But he only knew what Harry's criminal record told him.

When we get home I know that I'll get my first ever punishment. I've never been a bad as a kid, and this is the first I've ever done something that's crossed the line. I could only prepare myself for him to yell at me again, much like he had when he thought I was with Harry. It may even be worse this time, now that he knows I was with Harry.