chapter 8

I stayed under the pine tree for about 15 minutes. After I sewed myself up, and killed the tears, I couldn't take it under that damn tree anymore. so I climbed up close to the top. I climbed trees a lot. it helped me relax and clear my mind. plus I could see bacicaly everything.

Today there was a bone chilling, blood freezing feeling up in that pine tree. it was quiet too. I hate it when its quiet. Beacuse it screamed the truth. That were alone, that theres no-one left. They're all dead. I know this, but I can't help but think and question why we're the survivors, why we're the ones who lived when there were people stronger, faster, sharper then us. Hell, why did I live? I'm just a castaway, a freak, someone who steals for a living. Yet, because of this, I became stronger then I would've if I lived a normal life with a family who loved me, who cared for me, fought for me. Because of this, I learned how to hunt, how to survive. And not to give a fuck. I learned how to fight in these past months. Tought moves and battle strategies used in the militarily. I took a special likeing to the marines and their ways.

I don't know how long I was up there when I saw something move behind the bushes and thick trees bellow. once I saw this, I sat up and got close to the edge of the branch. I focused my eyes on the surrounding area, like The General taught me to. I will listen to him from now on. I can't afford to loose any one again.

There was now activity in the surrounding areas, so theres not a pack. Hell I don't know what it was. The color was black, like the wolf monster I saw last night. But it moved like a deer, cautious, steady, light.Like it was prey. Prey.Deer.Meat.Food. Shit! I was supposed to go hunting with Dimitri! I might be able to sneak up on this thing. Even if its not an animal, I could attack it and get their food and tools.or I could try my tracking skills and see if they had a capm some where and search for stuff. Nope. Plan A. I need to blow off steam.

The thing came closer to my perimeter. I jumped down from my branch to the ground surprisingly quiet. now all i had to do was sneak up to the creature. that would be easy because of the thick vegitation surronding this area. I got about a couple yards away, when I heard a familiar voice.

"so why do people call you Thorn?" hearing this, I ducked under a bush surrounded by ferns and wild flowers. I put myself in an army crawl stance and stayed there, peaking through the lower branches of the shrub.

"Because an old friend gave it to me as a nick name," she said quietly.

"how'd you get it?" the fumileur voice asked. I swear that voice was Misti's. But Misti was dead. or she ran off. she has a buddy, that big grey wolf that came out of the trees durring the attack. that wolf killed the ones attacking Misti. So she must be protected by another.

The other voice replied " one day my friend and I were walking to my house to spend the night. I lived in a big and dangerous city at the time..." her voice was getting weaker and weaker, signalling that they were walking further away. I had to get closer to them, so I stood up in a low crouch. somehow this reminded me of Demitri.

Where was he? was he worried about me?Urggg! shutup you damn brain! of corse not! no-one cares about you anymore! All of your friends are dead. Bailey's dead. Misti's dead. Josie,Grace, Molly, Teila, Logan, Dillon, Brian,David.They're all dead! Why the hell can you not remember that?! Your the runt of the pack. no-one cares if you die! its better for them if I was dead. I'm tired of being a survivor. I'm tired of carrying the weight of all those dead b**tards. I'm tired of being the last hope for the human race. I'm tired of it all. Why couldn't I just die in that school with all of my friends? Why couldn't I just di- god damn brain! your distracting me from my hunt. they're getting away!

Don't just sit there! GET THE F**K UP! YOU NEED THEIR PACKS! KILL OR BE KILLED REMEMBER?!

I found my strength and jumped over the bush I was hiding behind and doove into the thick underbrush on the otherside. From there, I climed a medium-sized tree, that I could jump from branch to branch easily. Thats exactly what I did.It only took a couple of tree branches to get ahead of them. I stoped at a short evergreen tree. I could jump down behind them and take their stuff. And if they have powerful weapons, or strengths, I could take them to The General. He would be pleased with me, and might give me and extra piece of elk meat. I needed that meat. I hadn't eaten a full meal in over five days. all I had was a couple scraps of rabbit I had caught yesterday morning.

finally they walked right under me, without even noticing. One girl was talking, her voice was a little higher than the other.

"So then my friend beat the crap out of the guy. she even pulled her pocket knife out of her boot and threatened the guy. He nearly craped his pants when he saw the blade, but then he got the idea that he could easily over power my friend." This was an interesting story.

I now saw that the girl who was telling the story had long blonde hair and wore a black shirt of somekind and black jeans with some chunky black shoes-boots probably. The thing that interested me was the fact that she had an arrow holder filled with arrows and a black compound bow around her back. she must shoot. Arrows are used as medium and long range targets, not close range. So I should be able to get it, but with more caution than with someone with no bow at all. The bow can easily become like a stick and can hit a target in close range as a last recorce weapon. So I had to be careful. But she had it around her shoulder like a sling to a gun. It would take her awhile to get it off then aim at me. Besides, at that point, I should be able to pin her and grab her stuff.

The other girl was shorter and had dark hair.She was wearing an ugly brown shirt and some army green colored shorts. I noticed she didn't have any shoes on. Weird. It didn't look like she had a weapon, but she could be like me and hid it until ots time to show.

The blonde continued the story. " He guy leaped at her. But my friend dodged it and a the guy fell to the ground. The guy stood down on the ground for awhile.Then he got up slowly, like he knew something was going to happen. Then the guy grabbed my arm and threw me down. Then he hovered over me like my friend wasn't even there. But before he could do anything, my friend tackled him to the ground and rolled down a hill. I got up and stated screaming for help. I don't know why I waited until then, but I did. Soon this police man arrived and asked what happend. I told him and we headed down the hill.My mind was all numb when we got to the bottom, I didn't know what to exspect. But when we got there, my friend was crouched over the man. The man had bruises and cuts on his face and hands, while my friend was conscious and just had a couple of scrapes.I couldn't believe it.She knocked out a full grown man. later on, I asked her if she used the knife and she said 'no. I put it to his throat, he tried to get me off of him, and shoved me down. then he hovered over me like he did with you. I kicked him in the balls and he crimpled up. then I just hit him in the face and he was knocked out. I promise no-one will ever touch you again.' so I said ' im gonna be like a rose.pretty to look at, deadly to touch?' then she laughed' with me, your just going to be the deadly thorn.' And its been thorn ever since. " Wow that was an awesome story. her friend and I could be friends.

"What was your friend's name?" the other girl asked.

The blonde took a breath and her answer shocked me.

"Terra Blaze."

--------

like? hate? needed to get that out of the way so no-one gets confused in the future. Comment, vote, fan, like. still need help with pics.so if someone knows how to, please tell me.