Chapter 20

“Yeah, she’s been here a few days now.” Niall was in the middle of explaining the situation we were in, conveniently leaving out the part where I was his girlfriend. We were sat next to each other on the sofa, but I moved away slightly after he left out that minor detail.

“So have you heard any news on your aunt and uncle yet dear?” Niall’s mom, Maura, asked addressing me.

“I personally haven’t heard anything back yet.” I replied as polite as I could.

“Well I hope you can find them.” She replied with a sweet smile. “Niall dear, would you mind showing me the, uh, hall?” She asked him uncomfortably. She was trying to get away from me, probably so she could talk about how stupid he was to take in some horrible american orphan girl.

“Yeah... uh okay...” He replied, suddenly looking very worried.

They stepped out together, and I sat on the sofa trying to decide whether or not I should eavesdrop on them. Going with not, because knowing my luck they would open the door while my ear was still pressed to it, I headed of to my bedroom to tidy up, my OCD kicking in.

I had quickly turned my ‘temporary’ room into more of permanent one. All of my clothes were hung in the closet, I had my comforter and pillow on the bed, and the few pictures I brought with me were on display. I know I’m not supposed to be thinking of this as a permanent home, but it’s so hard not to. Niall makes me feel at home, he makes me feel like it’s okay to be myself. I’m very comfortable here, and to be honest... I kind of hope that my aunt and uncle are not found in the near future.

I sat on the bed, and pulled out Niall’s laptop. I logged onto Twitter, and immediately my heart dropped. My mentions were blown up like crazy saying things about me and Niall, and I had thousands more follower. I typed in ‘Abby and Niall’ in the search bar, and thousands of tweets showed up. The top tweet was Niall’s, and it was a picture of me hanging ornaments on the tree last night. There were no captions, I wasn’t tagged in it or anything. He just tweeted the picture.

“Fuck...” I mumbled. How in the hell did they know that was me? And why in the hell did he tweet that? He knows that he’s not supposed to be dating me, management isn’t supposed to know, NOBODY IS SUPPOSED TO KNOW.

I’m going to have to move out. That’s it plain and simple. If I move out, they can say someone hacked his twitter or something... I don’t know they can find some excuse.

I knew this whole fucking thing was one big mistake. When he said that I could stay with him, what was I thinking? That, Oh yeah... This is great! Niall Horan wants to invite me to live with him for a while. Oh nothing can go wrong. Oh he’s cute... we should date, and have a secret relationship, with only the boys knowing... Oh, nothing will go wrong...

I started to look through my mentions, to see what everyone was saying. Hate. That’s what I was getting, hate. ‘Look at this picture she tweeted of herself. Damn shes fat.’ ‘Are they dating?!’ ‘This is in his house. Why is sHE IN HIS HOUSE!?’ Tears started to fall down my cheeks. I just want to leave, I can’t handle this.

I started pulling all of my clothes from the closet, and throwing them haphazardly in my suitcase, not caring if they were going to get wrinkled. I was crying hard enough now, to the point where my vision was blurry, and I was hiccuping for breaths. I heard the front door open.

“Yep, see ya then mum!” I hear Niall say. He’s not stopping me. I will leave. And I’ll find my family, because obviously the police couldn’t give two shits. “Abby?” I heard him call from the living room. “What are you doing?” He asked grabbing my wrists stopping me from putting anything else in my case.