Chapter 12: The Dark Shadow

Chapter 12

The Dark Shadow

In that moment, everybody's heart stopped, and the past incident was forgotten.

"Did they run off?" Christy asked, a hint of fear in her voice.

"I don't think so. They wouldn't--"

"What was that?!" Emery blurted, staring into the dark hallway of the basement, through the door that left open when they came up.

"There's nothing there," Aaron said.

"No, I saw something," she argued. "A shadow in the light room." They looked at her skeptically.

"I don't know, Emery," Benny said carefully. "Maybe you need to lie down."

"I'm not crazy!" She cried, a lump rising in her throat and her heart beating rapidly. She thought it might jump out of her chest , the rate it was at. When nobody said anything, she rushed out of the dining room.

Emery stumbled her way into the living room, almost falling on Ethan when she dropped to the floor cushions blindly. When she didn't acknowledge his presence, he sat up and studied her with concern. Silent tears stained her pale skin.

"Hey," he said quietly. He rested a hand on her shoulder and repeated himself.

She only hummed in response.

"What's wrong?"

She opened her eyes but didn't look at him, and instead stared at the ceiling, her vision blurry. She felt relieved to see Ethan still okay -- well, as okay as someone with a torn foot -- but she feared for her friends.

"What happened out there?" He asked, pushing her on. Emery shook her head dismally.

"Are you okay?"

"What shadow?" Ethan kept asking questions to no avail. She only cried and he soon gave up. He wrapped his arms around her and rested his chin on the top of her head.

"Don't be afraid."