The Different Faces Of Choi Minho

13: The Different Faces Of Choi Minho

Life was good.

No more huge quarrels occurred in the SHINee dorm and Manager Hyung became less stressed. Schedules were tight but spirits were always high!

Life for the band members was perfect.

Seemingly perfect.

It seemed that only the tiny Maknae could see what was really going on.

As the youngest, he had many responsibilities. Many would believe that he would've become lazy towards his duties as a Maknae, but contrary to that belief, Taemin had become sharper.

He noticed when their Dubu Leader was too exhausted for another schedule, so he used his cute charms to persuade their coordinators and Manager to give them occasional breaks. Taemin also noticed when Key Umma needed help but because of his pride, he wouldn't say anything, so the Maknae stepped in. Jonghyun's irritation at some times of the week were also noticed by the Maknae and he was always there to give a back rub or massage. These worries came with the role of Maknae.

But the issue that worried the youngest the most, was his Minho Hyung's constant faking.

No, it wasn't just because Taemin saw him as his favorite Hyung, but Taemin always noticed it because he constantly watched his elder.

(Not that he would ever admit it...)

And the way Minho's smile plastered itself screamed inner pain. Taemin could see how his Hyung tried so hard, but he hated how it affected him.

Every now and then he would glimpse a sad expression on his Hyung's face and wanted nothing but to comfort him.

The only problem was that he wouldn't let him.

Every time Taemin came to his side, Minho would just push off his attempts and joke around as if nothing was wrong. But Taemin wasn't blind to his true feelings.

You see, contrary to others beliefs, Minho was a very expressive person. If you'd watched him as long as Taemin had, you would be able to differentiate his many emotions.

There was the distracted smile, with his lips slightly lifted and a faraway look in his eyes, the surprised smile, the right corner of his lip lifted a centimeter or two more than the left and his eyes wide as saucers, and the flaming smile, with his lips upturned like a smirk but a burning emotion in his deep eyes.

But the one seen more often nowadays was the forced smile.

And it was the only facial expression that the Maknae disliked. For one thing, even he had been a victim to that pain-stained smile.

The two were close friends but Taemin felt like Minho was just treating him like a child. As if he was just a little girl. And Taemin wanted him to treat him like someone special.

He loved the gentle touches Minho Hyung gave him, but at times, he felt they weren't enough.

Only being in high school, he didn't yet understand these feelings, but he knew that things were changing. Maybe not for his Hyung, but obviously for him.

Instead of wanting to just stay by his side, Taemin wanted Minho to only look at him. He felt a sharp sting in his heart whenever he saw Minho approach any of their Hyungs or Sunbaes. Instead of calling him 'cute', Taemin wanted him to praise his maturity.

… But Taemin would never tell anyone this. He could never break their fragile friendship.

SHINee was nearing the end of their Juliet promotions and everybody was exhausted. Minho wanted to have a basketball game with his 2PM Hyungs. Jonghyun wanted to a whole week of sleep to 'recharge'. Key wanted to have a shopping spree with nobody to tell him what he could and couldn't buy. Onew wanted to have a family dinner with almost every dish containing chicken.

But the Maknae Taemin just wanted to take a nap in the arms of his favorite Hyung.