Chapter Twelve: Ur-ine Trouble

"Do you want to know what the worst part about all of this is?" I spoke to Altair's back.

He remained silent, but I continued anyway. I was nothing if not stubborn.

"You said horrible things to me, basically said I was evil. You told me there was no excuse for doing the things I did in purgatory despite my telling you I had no other choice if I wanted to survive. Yet, you, when given multiple choices and many of them good, choose the evil one even though you aren't doing it for survival. You're just doing it out of spite. Way to be a hypocrite, Altair. Your mother will be so proud."

A muscle in his jaw ticked and I knew I was getting to him. Finally. He just needed a push in the right direction.

"How will you even justify this to yourself?" I asked. "Hmm? How will killing me solve anything? It won't bring back those nephilim I killed in purgatory. And if you really wanted justice for them you would do it the right way and take me before the council. You're just angry and hurt. I understand."

Altair whirled around to face me, his eyes flaming deep red. "Understand? You understand? I trusted you! When everyone else doubted you - even your precious Roran - I had your back! I thought you were different: better. But then I find out that your just like all the other cambion: murderous scum of the earth with no morals."

I narrowed my eyes and snapped, "And yet, here you are, working with them."

He flinched at that, but didn't give in. "My mother refused to listen to me, and defended you, so I had no other choice."

"No other choice, huh? Where have I heard that before...? Oh, wait! I know! It's what I said to you, when I told you how I survived purgatory."

"Let's see," I continued, counting on my fingers. "Making the best decision you can with the options available, feeling like you don't have anyone to rely on, and killing people. Are you sure your name isn't Alethea?"

The fire in his eyes dimmed and he took a step back. I could tell he was rethinking things.

I blew out a relieved breath and placed my forehead against the bars. "Listen, I'm not good. Obviously. I'm cambion. But I'm doing the best I can, Altair. That's all I've ever tried to do. But you were right. I shouldn't have kept things from you. I should have told you about the lycans. I'm sorry. More sorry than you know."

"An apology doesn't make it right, Thea. Who knows what else you're keeping from us. We were supposed to be working together, but I can't do that because I don't trust you not to stab me in the back! If you're going to act like the rest of them, you should have the same punishment as the rest of them," he argued, turning back around and crossing his arms.

Nodding, I conceded. "Maybe that's true. But once Delilah gets back, I'm pretty sure that's not what's going to happen. She doesn't care about the nephilim I had to kill in purgatory. She just wants to make an example of me for challenging her. You're crazy if you think she's on your side in all this."

A theory began to form in my mind and I ran with it. "Whose idea was this, really? To trap me by offering you up as bait? Somehow I don't think you're cold enough and Delilah doesn't know me well enough. Raul is nowhere to be seen, so that just leaves Adrienne."

With a sarcastic laugh, I hissed out, "I should have known."

Altair shifted from foot to foot and I could tell he was uncomfortable. Apparently I had hit a nerve.

"She told us everything you did in purgatory," he confessed. "After she explained everything we had no choice but to confront you. Don't blame her for your fate. You did this to yourself."