Chapter Ten: Rescuing the Damsel

It was a beautiful night, with clear skies and a soft wind, but I couldn't enjoy it. Not because I was still bothered by the fight from earlier in the day, or because I felt like a pariah-oh, no. While those things still bothered me slightly, they weren't nearly as infuriating as the buzzing in my ears.

It had started a couple of hours ago. Roran and I had checked into a hotel room for the time being and I had gone for a walk to clear my head. Only the more I walked, the more my head felt like an out of tune radio. I was hearing nothing but static. And the longer it went on, the more the buzzing seemed to grow louder until it was almost deafening.

To my knowledge, which was still very limited, vampires couldn't get sick, or have health problems. So why did I have tinnitus?

I slapped my palm against the side of my head. Nothing.

Just as I was set to smash my skull against the door of the elevator a muffled voice could be heard through the noise.

"What?" I called out, looking for the person.

No one was in the elevator with me, obviously. I had gotten on alone-so it was no surprise. But I had heard someone.

"I said, 'Why are you attempting to harm yourself?'" the voice repeated, only this time far more clearly.

As soon as I caught on to who was speaking, I pushed the stop button to make sure we wouldn't be interrupted.

"Gabriel?"

The buzzing sound dimmed and the lights brightened. "Indeed."

"So you're the reason my ears have been buzzing. You've been trying to contact me?"

"Yes."

"Why was it different than usual? Why was there so much trouble?"

"You were moving. In order for me to speak to you, you must remain in one place."

"Oh. Sorry about that."

"It is of no consequence. There are far more important matters to discuss."

I nodded and sighed. My reflection in the elevator doors looked just as haggard as I felt. My hair stuck out to one side, the black strands looking like molting feathers. My clothes were wrinkled and my shoes were covered in mud. What a way to greet an angel.

Deciding to get to the point I asked, "You mean like the fact that I no longer have many allies?"

"No," he contradicted. "I refer to the phoenix's abduction."

My vision blurred and I swayed on my feet. Roran.

"Incorrect. The one named Roran is still in the room across from us. He is well. I refer to the one named Altair," he declared.

"How? When?" I gasped out. I prayed whoever had done this wasn't planning to hurt him.

The buzzing returned slightly, signaling Gabriel was upset. I wondered if he was upset at me for allowing it to happen or angry with the people responsible.

"Three hours ago, a large group of cambion set a trap for the phoenix. They are taking him north of here."

"What do they want with him?"

The buzzing increased. "They desire to set a trap for you."

Guessing their intent, I said, "Because they know I will come for him."

"Yes."

"Well, shit," I cursed.

My eyes widened and I slapped a hand over my mouth when I realized what I had said.