Chapter Four: Everybody hates Adrienne

I had been given a mission and it was an important one. I didn't regret my choice at all. Deep down, I knew that the culling of demon-spawn would be for the betterment of humanity, which is why I couldn't let myself be plagued with guilt or uncertainty. When the time came for me to fight I had to keep a clear head and stay focused. So I decided that Roran and I needed to talk and clear the air once and for all.

After the council meeting was over, I asked Altair to show me to Roran's room and now I stood outside the door poised to knock. I planned out my speech and thought about everything that needed to be said between us.

I was tired of dealing with drama. I had enough things to be worried about without having to constantly fret over my relationship with him. If he no longer wanted to be friends with me - I had no idea what to call what we actually were- I would understand, but he needed to say that instead of storming around like a child. It wasn't very attractive.

My knuckles tapped against the wood once, barely a graze, but from the sound of movement within he had heard it. Straightening my spine, I shoved a pleasant look onto my face and channeled as much confidence as I could muster.

And it all flew right out the window as soon as he opened the door...wearing nothing but burgundy boxer briefs. Very tight, very accentuating boxer briefs.

I may have stared a bit.

A lot. I stared a lot.

But there were so many toned muscles and so much smooth, bronze skin. I could hear his heartbeat, calm and steady and smell the earthy tone of his soap. It was too much for my super-enhanced senses to process.

And yet, I wanted more.

I justified my staring by reminding myself he had seen me naked during our first stay in purgatory. That seemed like a pretty crappy excuse to get away with ogling someone, but then again I was cambion. When my eyes finally travelled back to Roran's face, I realized he wasn't bothered by my staring and he seemed to be looking me over as well. Only his gaze was more critical than admiring.

"What?" he snapped at me, once he realized I was paying attention.

Suddenly the reason I was upset at him came rushing back and I huffed and crossed my arms.

"I was hoping we could talk," I said in the most civil tone I could manage, trying to keep my patience. "Do you have a minute?"

He shrugged and walked back into his room. I followed, but had far less enthusiasm for this endeavor than before. Why was I bothering with this again?

Once inside, I opened my mouth to speak only to realize Roran wasn't even looking at me. He was getting dressed instead.

"Are you going somewhere?" I asked, glancing at his outfit.

The clothes he was wearing were stylish and new: dark-wash jeans, a tight black t-shirt, and a black leather jacket. He looked very much like David had when he had tricked me in England. I wondered if David had picked the clothes out from Roran's memories.

"Yeah," he replied in little more than a grunt. "Out."

I tried to hide how much his indifference was upsetting me, but I knew by how much I was fidgeting that I wasn't successful.

Taking a deep breath I began, "Okay, look, I won't keep you from whatever it is that you would rather be doing, but we need to talk first."

"So talk," he snapped, turning to face me and crossing his arms.