Chapter 11

"Miss Mendel, if you would please take the stand." The judge ordered. Before I was called to the stand John and Bret had already gone up. They said things a guy would say. Moms great, but the cooking could be a bit better, and that was it. I knew the lawyers didn't expect much from them, but they were ready to lay into me.

"Of course, your honor." I said sarcastically while walking up to the stand and sat down. I looked over and saw my dad giving me the -be-nice look. I couldn't help it. I hated court rooms. I had to wear a tight business outfit and whenever you talked tons of eyes were focused on you. And it's not like the person who wrote down everything we said in court would type "she said sarcastically." 

My mother's lawyer stood up and started pacing around the court room as she asked questions.

"How would you say the past two months have been with your father, Jerry Mendel?" She asked. She had long blonde hair and was wearing very red lipstick. My dad told me her name was Linda. 

"They've been great. The best actually. I felt much better after I had moved in with my dad." And I was telling the truth. I had freedom, a car, a life, and no over controling parents. What could be better? Well other than the witch part of my life.

"How would you say your school life has been?"

"Uhm. Good. What does this have to do with my dad?" I asked.

She walked over to her briefcase and pulled out a piece of paper.

"What's that?"

"These are your current grades." She smiled, "Shall I read them?" Oh no, because of the new things that were happening in my life, I didn't have any time to worry about my grades.

"Let's see. B, C, C, D, B, D. And her only B's are in gym and drama class." She eyed me, then the jury. I looked over and saw the jury was starting to understand.

"Now let's look at her grades before she lived with her dad," Great she wasn't even finished yet, "Oh yes, Maggie Mendel had straight A's every year before moving in with her dad." She walked over to the judge and slid her the papers.

"Your honor, if I may speak." I gave her an award winning smile.

"Yes proceed." I had a few tricks up my sleeve.

Little did Linda know that yes, I had gotten a B in drama class. And as were taught in school everything we learn gets put to use in the real world. 

I turned to the jury, "Of course that was before the, DIVORCE also," I looked at Linda, "And it hit me pretty hard. Most children feel that way. I just couldn't get my head wrapped around it. My dad was so supportive even though he was falling apart along side me," I looked at the jury and saw questioning looks, "He did an amazing job of supporting me but while I was at school my friends would call me names and make fun of me for being so depressed. I didn't have the right mind set to do my homework, "And looking back at Linda, "but obviously some people don't realize how hard it is on children when their parents are ripping their family apart!" I yelled.

"Miss Mendel if you would contain yourself." The judge interrupted.

"I have no more to say your honor." I turned my head away in a sassy gesture. I quickly glanced over at the jury and saw sadness. I could tell some of them were moms and felt what I was saying.

So what if I lied. I was going to do what it took to protect my dad. No lawyer was taking me down today. 

I looked over at him. He had a look of sadness also. I didn't mean to hurt him! It was the only way I could stay with him! I wish he knew it was all a lie.