Chapter 1

"Dad? Dad?.......Dad???" 

Thunderstorms gave no mercy it appeared and I decided I was not sleeping alone tonight.

"John?......Bret???"

Crap! Why was nobody around. I crept slowly down the stairs. I know its silly to be afraid of the dark, but come on in a big house, during a thunderstorm anybody would be shitting their pants right about now. 

Creeeeeeekkkkkkkk

"Shit! What the hell was that?!" Ok so maybe it wasn't the best idea to watch Scream 4 right before going to bed.

Slam!

"John! Bret! If you are trying to freak me out this really isn't funny!" I hollered. I ran over to the kitchen and grabbed a sharp knife from one of the drawers next to the sink. 

There was another sound, it wasn't quite clear at first but then I recognized it. The patter of creeping footsteps. 

"This bitch is gonna get a surprise...." I whispered to myself. I decided to kick the guy first and then decide what to do. I waited until the last moment when I heard it enter the kitchen.

"Hiiiiiiyaaaaahhh!" I screamed. I kicked the guy square in the stomach karate style. I was so proud of myself after I heard him fall backwards with a loud Oomph!

"Okay. Don't move. I don't want to hurt you again but I will if I have to." I said, pointing the knife at the intruder on the floor. The man started to slowly rise so I ran over to the lights and flicked them on.

"What was that for??? Trying to go all Jackie Chan on me?!" I quickly realized it was my Dad yelling at me. I dropped the knife and stared at him in shock.

"I-I-I'm sooooo sorry I just got freaked out by the thunderstorm and I heard noises, it was dark, I'm really really really sorry. Please don't ground me!" I added the last line with a smile. I felt terrible about hurting my dad but I really didn't want to be grounded especially because I'm supposed to be hanging out with my friends this weekend.

"It's fine. I'll heal. But next time don't scream and no more scary movies on school nights. I can't be woken up every night because there's a thunderstorm." My dad stated," Understood?"

"Yes sir!" I answered in an assertive tone.

"Ok. Get some rest," He said," Oh and Maggs please try to remember Bret and John aren't here. They're at their mothers house." With that he sulked back upstairs to his bedroom and so did I.

I still couldn't believe it. That John, my older brother, and Bret, my little brother wouldn't be around much anymore. Our parents were divorced and currently in a custody battle. The judge said until our court date we could stay at the parent's house of our choosing. My dad is very bad at being mother-like because when my parents were together he was always at work. And you know boys, they aren't self sufficient at all therefore choosing to stay with our mother. 

I quietly slipped into my bed and under the covers. The thunderstorm was still raging on. At a moment like this I could really use some ear muffs.

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Hey so what time can I come over?" Matt asked.

"Come around.....Five. See you then!"

"See ya." He replied. And hung up the phone.

Matt had been one of those friends that you meet your first year in high school when your sitting in the corner of one of your classes (which of course none of your friends are in) and he's the only person that will even talk to you. It was an awkward connection. We kinda...clicked. He's also one of those friends where you don't know if he's your friend or your crush. Get what I'm saying? Anyways Matt is very calm and laid back. Girls dart their eyes at him all the time but he never seems to care. Thats one of the things I like about him. He doesn't have a big ego and all.