Chapter 2

"You okay back there?" someone asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"If it weren't for the tests I endure almost every day, I'd be fine," I said. I smelled country air.

"We're almost there," the driver said.

"Where are we going?" I demanded.

"We're going to experiment on you. Try to recreate someone like you. We'll tell you more later on in the project," the lady said. I balled my fists.

"So this is just a project to you. Whoever you'll create will just be a project?" I demanded, absolutely furious. This lady had no bounds. Whoever she was, she crossed the line.

"I guess so."

"So a living, human being is just a project?" I roared. I felt the urge to strangle the lady. I shut my eyes and put my hands to my head. I bent over and focused on my breathing. I didn't want any trouble.

"Calm down. We will treat it humanely," the lady said. I shook my head.

"Depends on what 'humane' means," I said, "Does it mean you won't test the poor soul?"

"No, we'll test the creature. But not like they've tested you. We've seen it has ruined you. We'll make sure it comes out right. Even if it takes more than one try." She was going to make more than one of me. This lady was crueler than I would be if I got a hold of my officer.

"What'll you do to the ones that aren't perfect?" I asked not wanting to know the answer.

"We'll let you take care of them. Whether you want them rid of or cared for is up to you."

"How could you say something like that? Why would I, of all people, want to kill one of my own?" I demanded, trembling with rage.

"I don't know how you think. I don't know what's going on in that brain of yours," she said.

"I think just like you, a regular human. I think just like a child ripped from her home and abused!" I yelled. I stopped. I wasn't going to do this. I wasn't going to argue. I wasn't going to lose my temper. The last time I did that, I almost killed some prisoners and officers. I was silent the rest of the ride.

"Come on," a man said opening the back. I saw a rustic log cabin. I narrowed my eyes at it. If this was where I was going to live and they were going to experiment on me, they had this cabin decked out with security cameras.

"What is this?" I asked.

"Where you will live. We ask that you not deface any property in there. We have a computer in there for you where you can relax and watch TV and movies. We will observe you while you perform activities normal children must perform," she said. I walked towards the cabin. I flung the door open and sniffed the air. No metallic smell. No cameras. I was wrong. I walked in, expecting the lady and the man to walk in with me. I turned around to see them driving off through a gate. A chain link gate. I slammed the door shut and gave myself a tour. I found my bedroom with an actual bed. This was different compared to a cell. I had a lot to adjust to, seeing as I had been confined to a cell for eight years. I sat on the bed cautiously and fell back. I sighed and remembered the days before the cell. When I had a father, when I was a normal child. When I had a bed. When I didn't have to worry about the metal cuffs around my wrists, with chains tying me to the wall. I fell asleep and dreamt I was a normal person with normal person's DNA.