The Puppets

"Class, We have a new student," everyone cheered.

"Her name is Dolly," the teacher said as she introduced her.

Autumn thought she was really pretty, she really thought they would be good friends.

After school Autumn caught up with her, "Hey!" she said, "Welcome to our school!"

"Oh, thank you!" she replied, she had a really nice voice. "What's your name?" she asked.

"Autumn, you're Dolly, right?" Autumn asked.

"Yeah, I don't really like that name, my mom thought it suited me well though" she laughed at that.

"Well, it was nice to meet you!' Autumn said as she ran off.

After about a week they had become really good friends. "Hey, you wanna come to my house after school?" Autumn asked.

"Sure!" Dolly grinned from ear to ear, "Sounds fun!"

Dolly turned out to be really nice, and smart. She really was like a doll, perfect and sweet.

That day after school, Dolly came over. "Wow, your house is so cool!" she exclaimed.

"Really?" Autumn looked around at the plainless. "I bet yours is cooler."

Dolly stared in to space, "Definately not," she said, grinning.

They had a really fun time just talking about stuff, then Autumn's mom came home.

"Hey, your sisters home!" Dolly said as she walked in.

"Sister? That's my mom," Autumn said.

"Really? Wow, she looks so young!" Dolly responded in amazement.

" Ha ha, not really, hold on, I'll be right back." Autumn said as she ran to the bathroom.

When she came back her mom and Dolly were talking.

"Autumn! You didn't say that your friend was into ventriliquism!" her mom said.

Autumn turned to Dolly strangely, "You are?"

"Yes, of course!"

Autumn thought about this that night, 'maybe that's why she's called Dolly.' she thought. She looked at the time, it was pretty late. She lay down to go to sleep and rolled over on her side. Suddenly she heard a strange, high-pitched laugh. She shot up. Who was that? She was a little scared. When she didn't here anything else she lay down in bed, thinking it was nothing.

The next couple days Dolly came over alot. One Saturday, Autumn went downstairs to ask her mom something. She had heard the laughing three nights in a row now and she was kinda scared. When her mom saw her she smiled, the fresh smell of bacon and eggs filled the room.

"How was the sleepover?" she asked.

"Oh, it was-" she said sleepily, "Wait, what sleepover?" she was now more awake.

"Um, Dolly sleeping over, was it fun?"

Autumn stared at her like she was crazy. "Dolly didn't sleepover yesterday," she said.

"Autumn, I saw her at the door with her bags, and I saw her go up to your room. I heard you guys at night. She even came down and talked to me for a little while when you fell asleep. Stop messing around," her mom looked a little more serious now.

"Mom, what are you talking about?! Dolly wasn't even here yesterday!" she yelled.

Her mom continued cooking, "Autumn, that's not funny. I've had enough of this, go back up to your room."

"But Mom!" she started.

"Go," she said bluntly.

On Monday, Autumn saw Dolly, "Hey, Dolly, my mom said you slept over on Friday, but I know you didn't, have any idea what's going on?" Autumn asked her.

"Hmm...Friday...I don't remember," she said.

The next couple days Dolly was absent, which was weird since she never missed a day of school. Another weird thing was that a girl in her class, Brenna, started to seem nervous whenever someone said something about Dolly or that she was absent.

'Things are getting kinda weird...' Autumn thought.

When she walked into her room that night she was thinking deeply, so the scream she heard scared her, except the weird thing was that the scream was hers. Sitting on her bed there was a vantriliquism puppet. It's mouth was open and it's eyes were big, just staring at her. She ran downstairs to tell her mom, and to see if she put it there as a joke.

She ran into her room and the lights were off, "Mom?" she said scared to death.

"Yes?" she said in a voice as if she had a sore throat.

"Are you ok?"

"I have a little cold, that's all," she replied.

"I'm scared, there's a puppet sitting on my bed. Can I sleep with you?" she asked.

"Sure," she said in the rough voice.

Autumn almost fell asleep and had calmed down, when she heard the laughing. She burst out into tears, and surprisingly her mom stayed asleep. The next day her mom wasn't there. There wasn't any note or anything. She was getting really scared.

After a week of her not coming back she decided to call the police. Dolly had come back to school and said that she was really sorry about her mom thousands of times.

They looked for her mom for a long time, and a week later Dolly offered to let Autumn come to her house to make her feel better. She agreed and after school they went for a sleepover.

"What's that?" Autumn asked while Dolly was giving her a tour, she was pointing at a door.

"Nothing," she said sternly, "I mean," her voice got sweet again, "That's my mom's study, so, uh, don't go in there."

"Ok," she said.

That night, Autumn woke up and had to go to the bathroom, so she walked downstairs.

"Her house sure is big..." she said as she almost got lost. She found what she thought was the bathroom and opened the door. The second that it opened she noticed it was Dolly's mom's study, and was about to apologize when she noticed something strange. Instead of an office, it was a staircase leading down to what looked like a basement.

"Huh?" she said walking down. It was really dark and she was starting to get scared. Eventually she arrived downstairs and searched for a light switch. She found one and turned it on. The Light swung back and forth, and she only got glimpses of the terror that was there. What was this? Autumn's eyes grew wide as she saw the bodies all over. Strings that you would find on puppets were on them, reaching the ceiling. There mouths were cut like puppets too, and some of them were open, just moved down, there jaw wasn't doing anything. She could see chunks of there backs out, a place to put four hand in and make them talk. Then she saw something even worse then all of this. There was her mom in a puppet pose. She couldn't scream, this was the most horrifying thing she cold imagine. She started to weep quietly, scared to death.

"Didn't I tell you not to come down here?" Dolly's voice came from behind her. Except it was different, it was cold and sharp.

"This is your mom's study?" Autumn said crying now.

"Of course not, look," she pointed to a human puppet in a corner, this one was polished and actually looked like it was wood. "That's my mom, this is my art studio," she laughed.

"Wh-what?" Autumn backed up, and screamed when she hit a dummy.

"Its not that bad," Dolly started as she walked over with some strings, "In fact, your my next project..."