Homicide

My phone vibrated on the dresser next to me. It had been doing that for a while now. I picked it up. This was the first time in three months I have let my phone rest for more than ten minutes. It was always in my hand. If I was not checking emails, replying to messages, social media surfing, or taking pictures I was talking to my husband. I have practically dropped off the face of the earth now.

Wow, one hundred and ninety missed calls and seventy-five messages. Most of them being from Kyron, Jasmyne, and my other friends. I guess the others heard about the accident. I would let Jasmyne deal with all of that. I needed time to cope with this hopeless situation I was stuck in. Telling everyone what happened to me was too painful. Where would I even start? Although there was no point In trying to cope. I lost a baby. I would never be able to let this go. No matter whose fault it was. I am the one who suffered. I am the one in pain. I am the one who will mourn. Not them.

I sighed and rubbed my empty stomach. I missed the sensational feeling of the little life growing in there.

My husband should have been only mine to have, otherwise, we would not have gotten married. Now I have nothing. No little angel to love. No husband to hold me close in my time of darkness and pain. Tears welled in my eyes for my innocent baby. I always wanted my kids. I always dreamed of myself as a mother. One who kissed her kids goodnight. Took them out for ice cream. Helping with homework. Now, look at what has happened to me. I never wanted to lose one. Nevertheless, I was paranoid enough to conjure up such situations. Like accidentally falling down some stairs or a medical emergency.

Of course, my other half was always there to comfort me. But this, well this hurt like hell, and I wished it did not have to happen at all. Now it has and the chances of getting through this were against me.

How am I supposed to go on living when my baby could not? It was messed up, I got to live and be happy while my innocent little one got forgotten. What kind of mother does that make me?

*****"Excuse me, Mrs Warren?"

I looked up at the person. Two officers were standing beside my bed. "Yes, that's me. How can I help you?" Said the one on a hospital bed.

"I am corporal Williams and this is Sargent Garrison. We have a few questions to ask you and we would like to have your account of the accident."

I nodded not knowing if I could speak at the moment. The accident, I remember the nonstop rolling. The blood-curdling thud that brought us to a stop. Thinking that I was not going to survive and if I did not what would happen to my baby.

"Before the crash, were you under the influence of any drug, alcohol, or medications?''

I opened my eyes and looked at him. What the hell? Were they seriously trying to blame me for this? Was I not allowed to catch a break? I sighed. "I was pregnant officer, I wouldn't have done anything to harm my baby."

"I'm sorry if we upset you, these are just standard procedure questions. We have to ask them."Too late I was already upset. How dare they try to pin this on me. Did I look like some mad person desperate for attention? I cooperated and the first thing they wanted to do was accuse me.

"Have you ever experienced any vision problems while driving before the accident?"I hoped they were taking records for my insurance company. I did not want to repeat any of this.

"No," I answered rubbing my temples in the process. "No drugs, no drinking, no vision problems. Everything was normal until I just lost control."

Jasmyne approached us. "Is everything alright?" I love that protective mood of hers. I nodded. Her eyes flared and she narrowed them at the officers. "Care to tell me why you are bothering my sister?"