15. Snug

The shift was going normally. Well, it was a little more comfortable. Mike and I knew a lot more about each other and the animatronics. The shift was so much easier now. We ended up just unplugging the fan and replaced it with one of those portable DVD players that my parents had packed as a "surprise". Steven Universe's theme played as we continuously rotated between doors and cameras. It smelled like shit, but Steven was worth it. 

By the end of the shift, I actually wasn't dying of hunger or sleep deprivation. That, and I'd already marathoned my show for the day. I waved to Mike and...right. I have to walk home today. Someone grabbed my shoulder from behind, and I jumped a little. I turned around to yell at Vincent to fuck off, but it was Mike. Other than when I had passed out, Mike hadn't really made contact without mental distress at least partially influencing it. He just isn't a touchy-feely guy, at least from what I've been able to tell. 

"Do you want to maybe hang out again tonight?" he asked. I nodded and motioned for him to follow. We simply walked in silence to my apartment. I felt him glancing over at me, but when I turned to face him, he'd already turned his head so he faced forward. 

I ended up humming to Freddy's tune, and started to sing along with some words I made up on the spot. I muttered them under my breath, but Mike was apparently listening intensely. 

"Hey Mikey, Freddy's

Got a song to play,

Terrorizing (Y/N)

And fucking up your day,"

Mike chuckled quietly. I smiled and stopped singing. He ended up making up words to another song, one that I'd heard often but never really bothered to check out. I'm such a hipster. Oops. 

"Oh, stay away from me

Or else I'm soon to be

A robot slave inside Freddy 

So stay away from me."

I ended up laughing way too hard. Half because his singing was way off key, and half because he clearly wasn't trying. Damn, Mike had such an effect on me. Something tells me that he could maybe sing if he tried, but he was just so ridiculous all the time that I had a feeling he never really sang seriously. 

I ended up just bursting out into the Steven Universe theme. Mike ended up joining in, and we were just walking down the street singing at the top of our lungs. 

"WEH ARE THE CRISTAL JEMS!

WEH ALWAYS SAHVE TEH DEY!

AND IF YOU THINK WEH CAN'T 

WE'LL ALWAYS FINDEH A WAAAY!

TATS WI TEH PEPLE

OF DIS WEHRLD 

BELIVE IN

GARNIT

AMETYST

AND PEEEEERL 

AND STEVEN!"

We probably woke up everyone in the neighborhood, but luckily no one came out to shoo us with a broom or something. Once we had finished our outburst, we both fell to the asphalt laughing. We managed to get up and stumble our way to my apartment though. Mike and I looked like a couple of drunks heading home from the bar, but it was too much fun to be civil. 

We ended up on my bed together, still chuckling from the perfectly timed song. Once we had fully recovered, I took some Puffed Cheetos from out of a cupboard. We ended up just talking about how the t-shirt and jeans combo was superior to every other style and eating the cheese puffs of the gods. I eventually ended up scooting a little closer to Mike, to which he replied with scooting a little closer to me. We continued this until we were pressed up against each other. Mike wrapped his arm around me and I felt my face warm up a little. Mike pulled me closer and I laid my head on his surprisingly comfortable chest. I closed my eyes, content with just lying there. Then he was gone. I looked around and found him on the other side of the room, holding the huge bag of Cheetos with the big, shit-eating grin that I'd seen Vincent make so often.