10. Date

Mike and I were close enough to wherever the hell we were going to walk, so we headed off in the opposite direction of the pizzeria. I could've sworn that there were shadows following us, but they dissipated once we left the parking lot. Damn, this place gives me a severe case of the spooks. 

We ended up stopping by some burger joint. Apparently Mike was a regular here, as almost everyone there waved at him when we walked past. That, or everyone was just really friendly. We ended up taking one of the window booths. They'd always been my favorites; better than being surrounded by screaming children and disgruntled parents on both sides. Mike and I ended up getting the classic burger and fries combo. I mean, why mess with perfection? He ended up getting a chocolate shake as well; he offered to share, and I of course agreed. I seemed to have a hard time saying no to people, after all. That, and I'd never turn down a milkshake. 

Mike definitely had good taste. The burgers were SO. FUCKING. DELICIOUS. Honestly, I have no idea why I haven't eaten here before. They have a new regular: me. Mike and I spent a lot of time talking about what huge shitheads the animatronics were. A taste of this:

"I hate them."

"We both do, they do try to kill us after all."

"You could say I find them..."

"Don't you fucking dare, Mike."

"unBEARable!"

"I hate you just as muchness I hate them."

It's also worth mentioning that we both made a lot of bad puns that night. After we finished our dinner (which took FOREVER because we both almost shot milkshake out of our noses on multiple occasions), we started the walk back to the parking lot. We continued our conversation on the stupid catchphrases Freddy and Chica would use in a death battle. A sample:

"You want a pizza me, Fazfuck?"

"Suit yourself, chicken."

Mike was definitely the most...happy I've seen him. I guess not being surrounded by killer animatronics or talking about some dead mentor kinda helped the mood, but still. 

Mike and I hugged before we parted ways, and only then did I notice his height. I guess I just haven't really had a chance to notice, since most of the time I'd been with him he'd been sitting down. However, I had walked out of the building with him multiple times and should've noticed how he totally towered over me. I guess I'm just kind of used to people being taller than me. 

"That was the most fun I've had in months!" Mike exclaimed. "It's mainly been sleep, groceries, and work for a while now; it's nice to have something to help break the infinite cycle of the modern life of the minimum-wager. That is, the minimum-wager that faces death every weekday from twelve to six." I smiled that dumb smile of mine at him and blushed slightly. I'd never really been the social type either; it had mainly just been me for a long time now. Probably because I just seem to blend in with just about any surrounding. 

We waved to one another before hopping in our cars. Just then, I remembered I still didn't have his number. Would be kinda cheesy to ask, so I decided against getting out of the car. Luckily, Mike started yelling out his window. I rolled mine down; he was asking for my number. How convenient. I quickly scribbled my phone number on a random drive-thru receipt I got from McDonald's a while back and jumped out of the car. 

I ran over to his car and handed him the crumpled piece of paper. I told him to just leave a message and got back into my own car. Mike drove off, still talking to himself. However, this time he seemed to be less punishing himself and more...just being happy. Like he was congratulating himself. Huh. Must be less of a loser than I thought I was if he was this happy about a simple dinner. That, and a heavy load of stupid-ass puns.