Chapter 50

Hi Helena,

It began. I had finally opened up the crumpled letter after it suffered the fate of being stuffed in the pocket of my sweatpants for an hour or so. I had to wait until my mother left the house or she'd get all apprehensive again.

I sunk into the material of the couch as I carefully straightened out the crinkled paper. What did Daniel want now? He'd just gotten a baby after he unethically impregnated a teenage girl. I decided that I would just tear up the letter if it says anything related to getting me back.

'First and foremost, I'd like to apologise. I'm sorry, Helena. I'm sorry I hurt you. But just know that it was never my intention to do so. I know you think I'm the villain... and I don't disagree. I'm a bad person. I know that. But Helena, I'd just like to warn you about the bigger villain in the picture. He's the person that's been comforting you all this time.... but he's a snake. I know Harry's my brother but he's extremely sly and he's made me out to be the bad guy when he's really the one behind every bad thing that's happened in our relationship. He ruined us, Helena. You should stay away from him.'

I was repulsed. How could he say things like that about his own brother? He was blaming Harry for all of his own shit. Maybe Harry did intend to steal me away initially but he was nowhere as evil as Daniel. And we have it all sorted out.

Didn't he question why Harry chose to stay here with me instead of moving into a posh mansion in Millburn? Harry would be surrounded by rich kids and would have everything offered to him on a silver platter, since his grandfather was a big person there.

But he turned down that kind of complacency. He turned down the opportunity to live the high life. He had nothing in Gripleville but me and his friends... and yet he chose to stay.

'Now I'm taking Polly with me to Millburn where we'll both try to finish our studies and raise our kid at the same time. I'll also have to get a job. It's not going to be easy and this is not the life I wanted. I never expected to be in a situation where I'll be bringing up a kid with a clueless girl I absolutely have no love or liking for. Funny how things turn out, huh?'

I cringed. Daniel's true nature was well displayed in his words.

'But if I had things my way, I would go to Switzerland with you and live in a cottage house. Remember that? I'd do anything to have that. I still love you, Hel. And I want you to know that eventhough I'm certain the feelings can't be returned but I can't help thinking about all the times we shared.'

My fingers pressed onto the edges of the letter in anger, tearing a little. How could he still be saying things like this? 

'So goodbye, Helena. I'll be waiting for the day I see you again, but with no grudges or hate. I hope that one day, you'll somehow forgive me.

I love you.
Daniel.'

I shook my head and crumpled the letter once more, but this time into a ball. Just like how Daniel's starting anew with Polly and his kid, I'll be having a new beginning as well. With Harry. I smiled at the thought and lifted myself up from the couch.

________________________

"And the sofa can go there..." I suggested, pointing at an area of empty space between the newly installed flat screen television and floor lamp.

We had just been left alone in Harry's new apartment room after he said his goodbyes to his mother. A distinct lipstick mark was left on his right cheek, where his mother had pecked him.

I felt strong arms around my waist and I let out a chuckle when teeth nibbled the top of my ear. "Harry, stop..." I giggled as I felt chills rush through me with every small bite. I was extremely ticklish and Harry liked taking advantage of that. "You're supposed to be arranging the furniture!" I reminded him in between chuckles.

"I've got the whole day." He breathed, his nose nudging at the curve of my neck before he turned me around to face him.

I glanced up into the glowing green in his eyes. My heart thundered against my ribcage, my pulse steadily increasing as our foreheads touched. The mesmerising effect he had on me that left me to stagger after every embrace rushed through my system.

"Do you trust me, Helena?" He whispered, his tone giving me full confidence in my answer.

"Of course." I beamed. "I didn't before, though."

"I love you." He murmured, his voice genuine and assuring. I loved hearing him say that because it gives me a high. To know that you are loved by someone who occupies your mind day and night... is something indescribable.

I tiptoed and planted a kiss below his ear, my arms caped tight around his neck. He puffed out a quiet moan. I'd never initiated anything that intimate, it was always Harry but knowing that he was enjoying it got me excited.

I daringly began to kiss him along the curve of his neck, lips going over the chain of his necklace. My fingers went along the opposite curve while my left hand was pressed flat against his moving chest.

Harry tightened his grip on my waist and I found myself being laid down onto the wooden flooring below. Seconds later, I was underneath him, his body overshadowing mine. He lowered his head and connected our lips. My blood halted for a second in my veins, catching me unawares.

My fingers ran along his back as I struggled to regulate my breathing. My lips lost contact with his tender ones when he pulled back and watched me carefully, the emerald orbs intently scanning every feature on my face. With each rapid beat of my heart, I felt that it would thrust out of my chest at any moment.

Nothing could be more perfect.

______________________

5 YEARS LATER

My fingernails nervously tapped the rim of the basin as I took one last look at myself in the mirror. Volume had been added to the brown locks of my hair and I'd put on a decent amount of make up. My lips were given a light tinge of red, my eyelashes darkened and curled to a fair degree and my cheeks blushed daintily. 

I untied the knot of my bathrobe before sliding the soft material down my shoulders. I chucked it aside and examined the dress I had on. The light pink of it matched the blush on my cheeks and the cute bow at the back was what made me buy the outfit. It went down till my knees, the little frills at the hem tickling at my exposed skin.

I was ready, I supposed.

I grabbed my purse and carried myself out to the bedroom where the quilts of the kingbed were messed about as usual. It formed what looked like an igloo.

Beneath it lay a scruffy haired guy fast asleep on his chest. His bare back was visible but his muscular arms were hidden beneath the large pillow he was snoozing on.

"Baby, we're late!" I called.

"Umph..." He groaned.

"You always do this." I walked over to the bed. I lifted one of the pillows and swung it. "Wake up! Wake up!" I chanted, hitting him with the pillow.

Then before I knew it, I was tugged to the bed. I fell and bounced on the sheets. Harry's arms were wrapped around me from the back and he held me tight. "I'm sleepy." He complained as one of his hands travelled to my midriff and tickled.

"Stop it! Get up already!" I laughed as I struggled out of his grip.

"I like you better at night." He grumbled, letting me go.

"It's your graduation party," I reminded. "And we're late."