Crime Scene Investigation Questions:

The basic steps of scientific crime scene investigation are physical evidence recognition, documentation, proper collection, packaging, preservation, and scene reconstruction.

Crime scenes can be classified according to the location of the original criminal activity while the classification labels the site of the original or first criminal activity as the primary crime scene and any subsequent crime scenes as secondary which doesn't infer any priority or importance to the scene, but simply a designation of sequence of locations.

The eight types of information that can be obtained from the examination of the physical evidence found at the crime scenes are...

Information on the Corpus Delicti

Information on the Modus Operand!

Linkage of Persons, Scenes, and Objects

Proving or Disproving Witness Statements

Identification of Suspects

Identification of Unknown Substances

Reconstruction of a Crime

Providing Investigative Leads

The four components of crime scene management are...

Information management

Manpower management

Technology management

Logistics management

The five crime scene investigation models are...

Assist the victim.

Search for and arrest the suspect if still on the scene.

Detain all witness to gather information and separate to preserve their objectivity.

Protect the crime scene by using barrier tape, official vehicles, or other means to secure the scene.

Establish a crime scene security log to record names of people that enter/exit the scene. Don't smoke, drink, ect.. Don't allow unnecessary people/officials, ect..

Note and communicate to crime scene investigators.

The duties of the first responder at a crime scene is to...

Responsible for preventing entrance into the crime scene by curious onlookers.

Contamination log/security log to record all entries/exits from secure areas.

The multilevel approach to crime scene security can successfully prevent unwanted entries.

The components or tasks of crime scene documents are...

Permanently record the condition of the crime scene and its physical evidence.

Most time-consuming activity and requires the investigator to retain organized and systematic throughout the process.

Innovation and originality are also needed.

Four major tasks of documentation are note taking, videography, photography, and sketching.

The basic process used for photographing crime scenes are...

Provide a true and accurate pictorial record of the crime scene and physical evidence present.

Provides a record that can be analyzed or examined subsequent to the scene investigation, and serves as a permanent record for legal concerns.

The two basic type of crime scene sketches are...

This is the final task, the previous tasks for documentation record the crime scene without regard to the size or measurement of the scene and its physical evidence.

Assignment of units of measurement or correct perspective to the overall scene and the relevant physical evidence identified within the scene.