Chapter 20: Family First

Chapter 20

Carlos knows that he can't face his father alone-not that he plans on a revolution but being burdened with a wife and an illegal business is not something he has to face alone. There is one person who would be able to relate. The one person his father asked him not to confide in.

"Marco," he sighs.
"2 calls in less than a month?! This is an honour," jokes his brother, "but look, if you're just calling to whine about your baby bride then I'm afraid I haven't grown a vagina."
Carlos holds in a groan at his brother's immatureness. Despite being only three years younger than him, their emotional age is far vaster.
"No that's not why I'm calling although that is certainly still a problem. And any solutions you may have regarding it would be welcome."
"None so far although...I don't see how it's a problem.-"
"Forget it then," snaps Carlos before Marco can start debating the merits of marrying the Moretti girl.
"Sure," noncommittally remarks Marco with no doubt a careless shrug. All this is is a novelty to Marco. Something certainly not serious enough for him to worry or give anything but a passing thought to. While that infuriates Carlos a tad, he knows the next message he has will certainly garner his flighty brother's attention.

 "There's something I need to talk to you about-alone and face-to-face."
"Well that's not at all ominous," sarcastically responds the wise-cracking jackass.
Carlos ignores it, giving him further details of their event, "I'll meet you at your apartment-5 this evening."
"Sure...I guess I'll have to cancel my happy ending massage but a small price to pay for the gift of my brother's visit."
It's hardly surprising Carlos refuses to set foot in the building when his brother keeps the place more like a private brothel than a home.
"Indeed and make sure you don't have any further...entertainment lingering Marco. This needs to remain strictly confidential."
"What about if I just have then blindfolded and wearing earplugs?" jokes back the younger man.
Carlos can only growl in response before giving his brother one last instruction before ending the frustrating conversation, "I mean it about the confidential thing, Marco. Not even Father is to know about this."

Lola glances up from the spaghetti squash base of the quiche she's making. It's a recipe Joseph has introduced her to and knowing Carlos's insistence on healthy food, she's conceded to trying it out. She has to admit since living with him, her diet has immensely changed. Just as his has become more forgiving in terms of fat and sugar content. Thank God. She could not live without bread or pastry in her life.
She's forking the last bit of squash from its skin when Carlos makes his appearance.
He'd told her of his plans to see his brother as soon as she'd walked in through the door and been surprised with his early return. Of course, her own personal opinion of Marco Castellano clouds her displeasure at Carlos conspiring with him but what can she say? They're brothers by blood and blood is the thickest bond for people like Carlos. Besides, how can she justify her reasoning? She can't exactly state that her gut doesn't think it's a good idea, because that's just crazy.

"You won't be long will you?" she asks as he pockets his keys.
He winds an arm around her waist, pecking her temple.
"I'll be back for dinner," he replies.
With that Carlos heads for the door but Lola stops him before he can leave.
"Just...just be careful, okay? I know he's your brother and you trust him but...just be careful," she warns him.
He gives no indication that he's heard her and that just adds fuel to the fire of anxiety already in Lola.

The high-rise apartments are not dissimilar to one that Carlos lives in. But this building being further on the outskirts of town is far more...liberal when it comes to their guests. It's really a 'don't ask-don't tell' policy and as long as the hefty bills are paid on time and the concierge is tipped generously for discrepancy then a blind eye is turned to the actions of the tenant-illegal or otherwise. And for the boss's son, they make even greater exceptions.
Carlos makes his way to Marco's door, bracing himself as he knocks on the thick wooden door (replaced after too many complaints that couldn't be ignored).