Chapter 19: Corn isn't the only thing corny

Chapter 19

With his head still reeling from not just one but two bombs his parents have dropped on him, Carlos bids them a goodbye before he makes his way back to his apartment. Usually if he's feeling so confused and frustrated that it feels like his head is going to burst, he'd head straight for the nearest bar or club. Not for the alcohol but more for the hum of noise drowning out his thoughts, the murmur of recognition that there are people out there going about their day regardless of him and his and the anonymity. Today however, today he doesn't want to hit the nearest place swarming with vibrancy, instead it is his home he craves.

Though despite bursting in there, his troubled mood is not dampened.

"Carlos!" cries Lola but her voice is a distant chirp as he mutters a greeting and stalks to his study.

He slumps into his chair; head hung low in his hands as he examines his options. Firstly and more imminently is the wedding/marriage issue. How on earth is he supposed to get out of that? And with his family. He can only pray for a miracle. Hopefully something involving the other girl. Nothing sinister of course! But if she were to...elope or have a secret boyfriend or turn out to be gay then that would be ideal.

"Hey..."
Carlos glances up seeing Lola slip in through the slightly ajar door. He sits back in his seat as she nears him.
"Did...did something happen at your parents?" she asks slightly hesitantly.
But she needn't have been so weary because he is certainly not angry at her concerned question. In fact, he gently pulls her forward by her waist, folding her into his lap; a new gesture of affection that blindsides Lola spectacularly.

"You look...stressed. More so than usual," she says frowning and smoothing out the lines on his forehead.
The muscle instantly relaxes under her fingertips before she trails it down his cheek and resting her hand there.
"I-"he sighs cutting himself off. He doesn't know how to explain this to Lola. Without her jumping to conclusions or hearing him out fully first.
"What? What is it? You know I'm going to keep asking until you tell me," she states with a quick grin, which quickly falls as his expression doesn't change.
"Come on, whatever it is it can't be worse than hearing 'I'm here to kill your father'," she jokes but reels it in, "you know you can trust me, right?"
"Lola, it's not that I don't trust you..." he starts.
Lola nods slowly, "well...it's your choice. Whatever it is, I can handle it."

Well, she asked for it.
"Fine...Fine. My parents have decided to marry me to a 19 year old who just so happens to be my father's rival's daughter and also a mob leader so that I can end this cold war between them and expand our territory. Oh! And despite not wanting anything to do with his business, my father has also named me the sole heir to it in his will and wants me to give up L'Anime so I can start shadowing him."

Lola needs a few minutes to process all that and even doing so, she still has to formulate some kind of response that isn't some bewildered gargle.
"I-uh...wow," she breathes, "that...that is some news. And I'm guessing...you don't want to marry this 19 year old?"
He gives her a sarcastic look as he equally states, "no, surprisingly I don't. At this stage in my life, marriage is not something I've considered or...am considering."
He glances up to her wondering if she's offended by that statement. Thankfully, she nods in agreement.

"But...then what are you going to do about it? Have you talked to this girl? Does she want to marry you?"
Carlos shakes his head, "I have no idea. I've never even met her. Her father shipped her off to some boarding school when she was young; he's overly protective of her. But I imagine like me, it won't matter what her stance is on the subject. Her father has agreed to it, just as mine has and they are determined to have it happen."

Oh God, what a mess. Amongst all that, Lola is acutely aware of the position that puts her in. Of course, she feels bad for Carlos having to marry someone he doesn't want to, however it's not like he's getting too bad of a deal out of it. Sure he has to marry someone younger than him and that he's not in love with, but at least he's not indebted to anyone. Unlike her.
If he marries this girl then what will happen to her? Will she be demoted to his scandalous mistress? Will he even keep her around? What if...what if he passes her onto his psychotic brother? A repulsive chill shoots up her spine, as she represses that dark thought away. No way, she'd rather die than have to spend a night with that creature.