Day Seven In Captivity

" All of them?" Skye asked bewildered.

" All of them. All born on the same day, all had the exact same virus within a month of us and all of them had it on the same day- I'm guessing because they're boys." Bambi replied in a hushed voice. Skye shifted her leg awkwardly, it had been numb for about ten minutes. " Anyway, that's not important. What's important iswas right! We were all interfered with as babies, they changed us, experimented on us!" Bambi exclaimed indignantly, standing up from her cross-legged position on the end of Skye's bed.

Skye watched as Bambi paced around the small room, studying her every move. She had noticed that Bambi had changed the colour of her hair in the days she had been shut up in the infirmary-it was now a slightly alarming bright blue colour and her fringe was falling into her eyes slightly. " Bambs, you need to calm down. It's clearly not a complete coincidence but I doubt we've been interfered with in a way that will have a negative effect on us, if they thought that could happen then they wouldn't have done anything at all. It wouldn't have helped them stay in power would it? And everyone knows that's what they wanted." Skye replied in a vain attempt to calm Bambi down.

" Skye, if they thought it could help them stay in power they would have done anything to us, anything at all."  Bambi answered in a slightly condescending tone.

Skye raised an eyebrow, almost angry at how stupid Bambi had made her feel. " I want to see Leon. Can you ask him to come and see me please?" Skye replied, her tone icy and her eyes narrowed slightly.

" Sure. I think he was planning on coming down after dinner. Have you found anything out from the nurses?" Bambi realised that she had angered her new friend and her tone softened considerably.

" Not really. There's only one that doesn't have that creepy smile though. Stacy I think her name is. She smiles a lot but it's genuinely happy, not like the others that look like they've got a piece of orange in their mouths twenty-four-seven. I know the roster off by heart now though. Kelly and Elle are on for the first shift, then Genie and Stacy are on for the second and Kelly and Elle are on for the third again, it just carries on like that I think. The doctor is almost never hear but when he is he has that stupid smile." Skye answered, she wished she could tell Bambi more but she couldn't, she didn't know anything else.

" You get out tomorrow morning don't you?" Bambi asked.

" Yeah they gave me this medicine thing that sped up my recovery apparently, they give it to soldiers." Skye explained, she had felt better for about three days but it had been just over a week since the 'accident'. Bambi nodded and left after saying a brief goodbye to Skye.

Bambi found her way through the now familiar hallways that took her from the infirmary to her dormitory. It was a Saturday and she didn't have any lessons to go to so she decided she'd annoy Kayne for a while, she had become quite close to him, in fact the only person she hadn't had much contact with was Jared and even they had become fairly close.

" Is Kayne about?" Bambi asked as she walked straight into his dormitory.

" Think he's still in bed." Leon grunted from the sofa.

" He missed lunch, do you think he's ok?" Bambi asked.

" Probably not, it's a year today that he found out his girlfriend was being forced to give up their kid and he'd never see either of them again, upper class don't tend to mix with peasants. " Leon half-whispered. Bambi nodded before heading over to Kayne and Leon's room.

Bambi knocked softly, only to be greeted by a low grunting noise, she opened the door slowly, careful not to rush inside, who knew how Kayne would react to her walking in on a day like today. " Kayne? It's Bambi." She whispered as she stepped into the plain white room. It was a mess on Leon's side of the small room but Kayne's was surprisingly neat, Kayne himself was intertwined with the duvet, his feet sticking out and his arms over his head.

Kayne grunted and sat up slowly, the duvet fell revealing his muscly torso. " Bambi, hey what's up?" Kayne yawned.

" I think it's me that should ask you that, Honey." Bambi replied, a small, sympathetic smile gracing her face.

" I'm fine, Bambs, I'm guessing Leon told you?" Bambi simple nodded in reply, " Well I'm fine, honestly, are we all going down to see Skye today? It's been a while and I think Jared's going to go spare if he doesn't see her soon." Kayne continued.

" I don't  think he's been to see her in a while. Not without one of us anyway." Bambi replied. She was convinced that Jared was secretly in love with Skye, but now she'd noticed Leon getting close as well.

" I wonder who she'll pick. It's obvious that Leon likes her and Jared always has." Kayne said, voicing Bambi's thoughts.

Bambi thought for a minute, " If I was a betting woman, my money would be on Leon at the moment." Kayne nodded thoughtfully.

*************************************

Skye thought she would go mad if she had to stare at the plain white ceiling for much longer. A nurse walked in at lunchtime with a clipboard. " You can leave early if you sign here, I'll send for one of your friends to pick you up, you'll be on crutches for about another week so no PE but you'll be able to get back to shooting." Skye smiled, had been catching up on her English and Maths work while she was in the infirmary and everyone had kept her up to date about shooting and social skills.

The nurse didn't stop smiling for the entirety of their conversation as Skye signed the early release form. " Who would you like to fetch you?" The nurse asked, her smile never faltering for a second.

Skye didn't even need to think before she answered. " Leon please." If she wasn't still angry at Jared she might have asked for him, funny thing was she didn't really remember what he had done in the first place.