Cathy and Skye's Girly Day

Skye sighed as her mother yelled her name. Her face had began to heal but she was nowhere near forgiving her mother for hitting her, she could take the yelling and the disappointment-she could even understand it- but to hit your child showed real hatred. As soon as Skye entered the kitchen-after convincing herself to roll out of bed, her mother stood up. " Skye...I'm not sorry for what I said, I meant it but I am sincerely sorry for the way I spoke to you and for...hitting you." Skye nodded, solemnly, her mother was sorry but Skye wasn't going to forgiver her.

" I'm not going to forgive you." Skye replied. She didn't care what her mother had to say at this point...at least that's what she told herself.

" Here...take some money, you and Cathy could go shopping? Buy some new clothes for school, maybe."  Her mother said handing at least fifty Coins over. Normally Skye had a five Coin allowance per month. Open-mouthed, Skye took the money from her mother but coudln't quite say anything. " I've been saving it for a few years, I did the same for Marissa, you may as well have it. Even if you are going to Lock-Down." Skye knew that this was as close as acceptance as she was going to get for a while.

" Thank you, Mother." Skye said, trying to ignore the lump in her throat. Her mother simply nodded and Skye turned her back to walk upstairs. Almost shaking, Skye took out her phone and texted Cathy.

Hey, do you want to go shopping today? xxx

Cathy replied almost instantly, as if she was waiting for Skye's  text. Yeah sure, need some new school clothes. Cafe at 12? xxx    Skye agreed, she was ready and it would only take her a few minutes to walk to the small cafe. Which Skye was grateful for as it was five to twelve already.

After stuffing the fifty Coins into her scruffy purse and slipping on her shoes, Skye made the short journey to the cafe. Cathy was late, of course. " I'm so sorry, I couldn't find my shoes! What a ridiculous thing to lose." Cathy gushed as she crashed through the doors. She was normally an extremely organised person and Skye couldn't help but think that there was something wrong with her. Skye said nothing about her suspicions, instead she laughed and joked along with her best friend as they drank weak, bitter tea.

" So shopping? What happened, you hate shopping!" Cathy exclaimed after ten minutes.

" Well my mother, despite hating me at the moment, has given me fifty coins...I know I was shocked too and she expects me to buy clothes for school. Everyone knows that you have to earn the right not to wear a prison uniform at Lock-Down." Cathy sat still, very still, with a shocked expression on her face.

After a few moments Cathy composed herself and said, " When you show up at Lock-Down you can wear what you want, it's just a lot easier to lose the privilege there than at the other schools. You might never have to wear one." Skye was taken aback by this, she'd always been under the impression that Lock-Down students were in a constant state of not being trusted.

" How do you even know that?" Skye asked, amazed that Cathy knew anything about Lock-Down at all.

" My mum's brother, Uncle Todd, he went to Lock-Down. We don't talk to him that much but...when I heard you were going there, I called him. I asked him how it really was there and he said it was-well he said it was terrible but apparently it helped him pull himself together. He wasn't like you, he used to fight people, drink, drugs. He said the good kids have it easier. The good kids have a better time there, you'll be fine, Skye, you will." Cathy had only told Skye about her uncle in an attempt to calm her nerves, he was the out cast of the family and no one ever spoke to him.

" Thanks for...you know calling him." Skye's eyes watered as she thanked her friend, she couldn't comprehend how much Cathy cared about her. Cathy just smiled as they finished their tea and left to go and buy clothes for school.