ch.2 Coffee

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself."

••
Harley
••

"Hey Daddy," I say into the phone.

I try call him every day, that I don't see him in person, before bed to tell him good night.

"Hello sweetheart."

"Joan is coming to visit soon. I was wondering if you would be here with me when she comes so that nothing...goes wrong."

"I will," he sighs. "Good night."

"Good night," I say slightly relieved that I won't be taking this on alone.

I wake up with Pete on top of me repeating, "Good morning," and "Pretty girl."

He steps onto my extended arm. He's a big bird, but that doesn't stop him from climbing up to my shoulder and playing with my hair when I stand up.

I walk into the bathroom and put him on the towel rack bar. He stands there while I shower, probably entertaining himself by looking in the mirror. When I get dressed and start making breakfast, he waddles down the hallway and into Melody's room. I hear him screeching and her screaming, "Get away from me!"

Melody and Pete don't get along, but he loves to aggravate her. The only time I let him get away with it is in the mornings. She isn't a morning person and I don't want to wake the hibernating bear.

She comes down the hallway with clenched fists and the meanest look I've ever seen - besides if you include every other morning after she wakes up. "If you don't get rid of that bird-"

"His name is Pete."

"-I'll kill it."

"No you won't."

Pete waddles down the hallway. I pick him up and he bows his head for me to kiss him. I do and listen to Melody scoff.

Pancakes aren't my specialty, but Melody and Pete love them. Devour them. As soon as we're done eating, I put Pete in his cage, then I leave to go to my first class of the day. I can't believe they're making me go to class on a Saturday.

On my way home, I stop at Starbucks to get some tea as it's still early in the morning. I order what I normally do and turn to walk to a table when I bump into someone. I accidentally spill some of my tea on the both of us.

The day was boring, normal, and ordinary, until I saw that same curly-haired boy I saw at the minimart when I look up to apologize.

"Hello there," he smiles down at me. He doesn't even seem to notice the hot liquid spilled on his chest.

He follows me to a table by a window and starts blotting his shirt with a napkin as he sits across from me.

"Fancy seeing you here," I comment quietly, frustrated with myself that I've now run into him twice and made a mess each time.

It's quiet for a moment before Harry speaks.

"Maybe this is destiny saying we need to go on a date." A smirk finds its way to his lips.

"Oh really?" I ask before continuing with, "I have a boyfriend, remember? I'm in a very dedicated relationship with Matty Healy."

I sit back in my chair with my tea wrapped in my fingers to keep my cold hands mildly warm even though half of it is on our clothes.

"Hm, I don't think you do." He smiles. "Girls who are taken don't bump into a guy at the store, make a mess, and flirt with him then do it again the next day."