Epilogue

Epilogue

A week later, Lily and I spotted Caroline downtown. She was gazing at a designer’s handbag which was behind a display window. She looked unsmiling as the last time we saw her.

I felt her aching heart. It wasn’t that strong I thought it would be. She was trying to get over it. But it was still terrible. It wasn’t my fault though, and that was a relief to me.

It’s remarkable how something so wonderful like love can actually cause something so hideous as pain.

It would be easy for her to love someone who truly loves her, too. I saw that through her past relationships. So I just should find the right guy for her. Maybe the lovely guy talking on the phone next to the neon pillar was a true match for her. He was standing just a few feet away from where she was. He looked at her once and so she did. That was all I needed. She liked him. Just a bit. But she did.

As usually, I acted spontaneously and aimed at the guy. The arrow hit him and immediately he turned to look at Caroline. After that I felt really strange. Something went a bit wrong. Again.

“Oops!”

“What? What happened?” Lily seemed curious, but worried. “Is he in a relationship or something?”

“Nope!”

“Was he in love with someone else?”

“No, he wasn’t.”

“Then what?” she asked confused.

“Well, let’s say that under normal circumstances he wouldn’t fall for her. He is… Um… He is gay.”

Lily was unable to react for a heartbeat. “Uh… Is that bad?”

“Technically, no. No one’s hurt. It’s just… I think it might be strange to love a woman, but in general be attracted only by men.”

“Oh, dear!” she snorted, but she actually wanted to laugh. “Ok. What are you planning to do?”

“To be honest, nothing. They will be happy. He seems to be a nice guy. He’ll love her and take care of her. Soon she’s going to do the same.” I could clearly see that happening.

“Are you sure? Cause if you start being melodramatic about your mistakes again, I promise that I will slap you.” She said in a playful tone.

“Yes, I’m pretty positive!”

“I’m glad.”

“Maybe, I should leave my bow and the arrows at home for a while. I should leave as a normal human being just for a little. What do you think?”

“Yes! You definitely should do that. Be normal!”

“Of course I can’t forget who I am. Always, there will be people who might need my help.”

“But you’re done with the experiments!”

“Yes. I ‘m absolutely done with the experiments!”

Love is something beautiful given to us. It’s the source of humanity’s power.  It makes everything better. It’s the strongest feeling that someone can feel. Its strength can make people change. It makes everything possible. And we just should let it happen.