Following Dad's Footsteps: Chapter 2

It was all over the news. Pictures of the body on the Internet. People at work completely terrified that the boss was now dead. He deserved what he got.

"Wayne, did you see Mr. Harville's wife on the news this morning?" Jenna, Mr. Harville's secretary, asked me the day after his murder.

Mr. Harville was the man I killed.

The man we killed, the voice in my head reprimanded me.

"It's awful, isn't it?" I calmly replied, sipping my coffee in my hand.

"Who would do such a thing!" Jenna cried out, wrapping her arms around my neck and sobbing into my shoulder.

The rumor going around the office was that Jenna and Mr. Harville were having an affair.

I set the mug on a table and awkwardly patted Jenna's back; people were watching.

'Mr. Harville,' I mouthed, motioning to her crying figure, looking at the people watching. They all nodded and turned back to their work. The rest of the office didn't seem all too upset that he was gone.

That's because he was a jerk, my voice told me. My voice only spoke the truth; we were all underpaid and overworked as he lived in a life of luxury.

Jenna pulled her arms from around my neck and sniffed, wiping her eyes of their running mascara, "Oh, I probably look a right mess," she laughed sadly and continued, "but he was a good man, he didn't deserve what he got."

She's delusional, my voice told me.

I nodded, though I completely disagreed with her. He was a horrible man who cheated on his wife with some trash in the office. He even had young kids!

He got what he deserved.

I sighed, walking into my apartment and sat down at the table, looking through the mail.

It was all junk and bills until I got to the end of the pile; the Wednesday paper was the last thing. It's headline was big in black and white print.

'Deadly Serial Killer On the Loose! Continued on A-4.' I quickly flipped to page A-4 and read the article about me.

The death of Richard Harville, 43, has disturbed us all. Owner of successful company 'Shotz,' married with children, and no apparent enemies, we were all left wondering, 'Who would kill this man?' Police looked into the case and saw apparent relations to recent deaths in Manhattan.

Police chief, George Waters, stated to the press this morning, "Due to the recent death of Mr. Richard Harville, police have been investigating and have noted many parallels to the deaths of Walter Ryan, Rosalinda Pierce, Tyler Ferguson, and thirteen more. Autopsy reports say that they have all been murdered with the same tool: a hammer. Whether they are merely by coincidence, we suspect not. They were all killed with the same tool, and, most gruesomely, cooked and placed in the refrigerator, possibly ready to be consumed. Our psychologist warn that this killer has a twisted mind and will not take mercy upon you. They have killed at least seventeen times now, so we advise everyone to follow the youth-mandatory curfew."

Waters will have officers roaming streets at night, looking for suspicious activity,"for everyone's protection," Waters said.

This killer is still on the prowl and Bently Papers will continue to follow this killer in the future. We all advise you to stay with someone at all times and keep your doors locked. Do not stay in your house alone and try to stay safe.

I finished the article with a wide grin. The thought of me being ruthless was comical.

You're not ruthless! my voice told me, his laughter echoing throughout my mind; I guess the public is senseless.

I honestly couldn't disagree. I'm no ruthless killer.