Chapter 36 - Potato Stalker

• Brandon •

She's not here today again.

Emma and I made our way to the cafeteria to our usual spot. She was trying to cheer me up, saying Mira will be there and everything will be back to normal.

I just tried to keep up an optimistic smile. I know she won't be there. After what I did. No - she'll spit on my face.

I heard from Leo that she cut her hair short. I want to see her. Damn it, I bet she looks amazing with her new look. I know she'd still look amazing even if she were to shave her head bald. But she keeps avoiding me. She keeps hanging out with Sam.

"You are ridiculous," Emma sighed exasperatedly. "Why don't you just go talk to her?"

"I already did," I replied. And then I lowered my head sadly. "She doesn't like me."

Emma stopped walking, causing me to halt in my steps as well. We were just a few feet away from the cafeteria doors now. She raised a brow at me as she folded her arms. "Did she say so?"

Umm.

"Not really but - "

I couldn't finish the sentence because she smacked me hard upside the head. "You fucking idiot!"

I looked at her surprised. Emma... cussed?

It took me a few seconds before I could respond. "But you don't know the whole story yet!"

"I don't need to." She said stubbornly. "But what I do know is that you misunderstood the situation. Maybe you didn't let her finish explaining. Maybe she was too afraid to tell you. Maybe she wanted you to tell her you like her first. God damn it Brandon! She's a girl! We're complicated like that!"

"W-What? What?" I mumbled unsurely, slightly panicking because of her sudden outburst. "But why? How do you know this? Are you sure?"

She sent me a glare. I gulped. Is this really still Emma? Why does she look so annoyed? No, it looks more like she wants to kill me. "In case you haven't noticed, I'm a girl too. God, Brandon! I can't imagine what she must be going through right now. I saw her Brandon. I saw the way she looks at you and me. She's hurt and I don't like being the reason for her being hurt. Maybe she thinks we're together or something."

My eyes widened. What? That's not true. "Gross."

She sent me another glare. "Right back at you. I have a boyfriend, remember? And Tony said he gave my swimsuit to Mira when you guys challenged her to a race. Did she really wear it?"

Tony was my team mate in swimming. He was tanned compared to Emma so it was hard to tell they were siblings. Her boyfriend goes to a different school but of course, he's still the typical overprotective boyfriend. That's why Emma had to give that swimsuit away.

That damned swimsuit.

"She did," I said stiffly, remembering how the guys looked at her when she wore that thing. I think I understand how boyfriends feel now.

Ha. I'm getting way ahead of myself thinking I know how boyfriends feel. I'm not anyone's boyfriend, and I'm certainly not a particular potato's boyfriend. How would I know.

"I see." She replied, knowingly. Then she rolled her eyes at me. She started walking again and this time we made it to our table in the cafeteria. Nichole and Leo were there, and they looked closer than ever. I hid a smile. That's great. I'm happy for them.