Thieves Guild - Chapter 8

Note from the author:

This is an ongoing series currently being updated. Please leave a vote and a comment if you enjoyed this part, as both of these would be very much appreciated (and also lets me know that people are liking my work :)). You can follow me to see more of this story, and for regular updates. Hope you all have a great day! 

Brill, Danil, and Eloise walked in single file along the gloomy brawlers tunnel, looking glumly at their boots. They had been walking for almost an hour, but had still not come to the end, and it didn't make it any better that no one was talking. Bovem was taking the death of his assistant very harshly.

'When do you think we'll reach the end?' Eloise asked in a hushed tone. She was in between Brill and Danil in their line and took comfort from them around her.

'Hard to say' Brill said from the front. 'I never knew the brawlers had these tunnels; at least, we were never told about them. It takes a lot to hide something this useful from the Thieves guild.' As they'd been walking they'd spotted multiple branches coming off from the tunnel, presumably to other taverns around the city and who knew where else.

Danil made an annoyed sound from behind.

'If we'd known about them sooner it might have saved a lot of lives. Especially if they stretch as far as the Thieves guild. Elspeth wouldn't have been captured'

They stopped talking when a pinprick of light from in front caught in Brills eye.

'Looks like that's it' he said quietly 

It took them another half hour for the small dot of light to grow into an entrance. They found themselves in a basement, with a solitary torch burning in a bracket on the wall in front of them. The light it cast glittered on various blades and pieces of armour littered around the room, along with an anvil and finer objects like screws and small chains. A blacksmiths property by the looks of it, Danil deduced. 

'Wait here' Bovem grunted.

He trudged up the well built wooden steps towards a large door and disappeared into it, softly closing it behind him.

'What now?' Eloise asked

'Depends' Brill considered; 'I guess Bovem will want to give us the rundown, then we better continue on our way'

'The Assassin's guild?' she had been thinking about who they should contact next. They were the obvious choice. They had some of the best trained men in all of Temeria, rivalling even the Thieves' abilities. 'I'm not too comfortable with that...' she continued.

'Neither am I' Danil agreed 'They're dangerous. Unpredictable.'

'I don't particularly like it either' Brill went on, 'But we need anyone we can get right now, and they follow a code. They won't kill us before they've heard us out'

'Touching...' Eloise said with a grimace. 'But we don't know that. Everyone in the city is under stress right now. They might have orders to kill those who get too close.'

They all grimaced. The door at the top of the stairs creaked and Bovem appeared again. 'Get up here, all of you'. He pulled the Thieves aside as they walked by, leaving the rest of the Brawlers to go on ahead.

'The owner isn't happy about us being here. Apparently the city watch was on high alert even before the raid on the tavern. Two Thieves escaped the city in broad daylight today, the keeper is furious.'

He raised an eyebrow. 'Wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?'

They grinned. 'We can guess' Danil said.