Thieves Guild - Chapter 6

Note from the author:

This is an ongoing series currently being updated. Please leave a vote and a comment if you enjoyed this part, as both of these would be very much appreciated (and also lets me know that people are liking my work :)). You can follow me to see more of this story, and for regular updates. Hope you all have a great day! 

'So' began the man as he settled behind his desk. The room was small but comfortable, and connected directly to the brawl room through a side door that they had entered through. The 'desk' was a huge slab of oak balanced on top of two mead barrels, with multiple score marks along its length and a huge hunting knife stuck in almost to the hilt at one side. A dark stain lay on one half, suspiciously blood coloured. 'What brings you to my humble abode?' he boomed. He this he spread his arms heartily, accidentally slapping the attendant to his left across the face.

'Eugene!' He glared at the man now rubbing his jaw 'I told you not to sneak up on me like that!'

'My mistake sir...'. The man said sarcastically, eyes rolling. He was skinny, probably in his late twenties. He wore eyeglasses and the tight fitting clothes of a steward, with expensive looking shoes on his feet, but his clothes let his well defined physique be seen clearly.

'Hmmph' the man said, as he returned his attention to the three standing before him. 'I'm Bovem. My graceful assistant here is Eugene, as you may have heard. You three are a very rare breed nowadays, didn't think any of you thieves got out of that shit show the keeper cooked up for you. Nasty business. We were going to send help but...' he shrugged 'There wasn't much we could do.'

Danil piped up for his group. 'I'm Danil. This is Brill and Eloise. We got sent to come and find you by a thief called Vita. She's--'

Bovem interrupted with a grunt and scratched his stubble. 'Don't worry, I know who Vi is. We got in to some sticky situations in my youth if I recall correctly. If you're looking to rebuild your guild though, or for some kind of revenge? I can't help you there. That's your call. I gotta look out for me and mine. Right now business is booming, and we're under more stress than ever. Lots of turmoil within the guard nowadays. Lots of anger.'

'That's not what this is about.' Danil replied, 'We know of a document, a plan really. The Northerners are going to invade Misteria.'

Bovem laughed mightily and eyed the thieves with disdain. 'An invasion of Misteria? You must be out of your mind. Talibut is one of five  heavily armed fortresses lining the border, thousands of guards waiting to repel any attack. And between them lies miles and miles of mountain passes, marshland, and the roughest terrain in the country. How exactly are you expecting this to happen?'

Danil tried not to lose his cool at Bovem's blatant disbelief. 'The keeper is a spy sent from the North' he said, exasperated. 'He's planning for Talibut to be a weak link in the defences, it's a complete inside job'

'Really?' The brawler replied, raising an eyebrow sceptically. 'And I suppose every guard in the city is fine with letting thousands of northerners waltz into Misteria? You're dreaming. Besides, even if that were to happen, why would the Brawlers guild get involved? We're fine as we are, out of sight and underground. We can always set up again, in another part of the country, and wait for the armies in the south to squash any invasion, like I can swat a fly.'

Bovem suddenly yanked the hunting knife out of the desk beside him, and slashed the air in front of his face. Two halves of an unsuspecting insect floated down in front of him.

'Sir' Eugene began. 'Maybe they have a point...'

'Bah!' Bovem replied. 'They want our help. When have the Thieves guild ever helped us? When the city watch stormed our fight rings and clamped our seniors in chains?'