chapter 15

Chapter 15

The next morning was the reading of my grandparents “will”.  They of course left everything to each other and then to my dad and his sister.  His sister didn’t get a ton of money, about a million dollars; it was stated because she was never around and never kept in touch.  Since my dad was gone, the money and property got transferred to us grandkids.  They wouldn’t reveal who got what in public, so they pulled my older brother Nate went in first.

Nate came out with a smile on his face and a folder in his hand.  A few minutes later they called me in.  I sat down in the chair in front of the desk.  The lawyer Perry Gunner said, “You have inherited the bulk of the estate and money.  You’re not allowed to sell the house unless you offer the house and land to Alvin Dixon first.  You grandparents also wanted you to keep allowing them to use the lands.  Vern and the staff will be allowed to stay there.  They have left a house fund, to take care of repairs and insurance plus taxes.  They also have been allowing the house to be used for weddings, and things like that and your grandparents want that to keep going, Vern and the staff can continue to handle that. 

He handed me a folder and envelope and said, I don’t know what is in there your grandparents kept it a secret from me.  There is no death tax down here so you don’t have to worry about paying a death tax.  You also got your grandfathers SUV, here are the keys, they title has been transferred over in your name and there is a full year of insurance on it.  You also get the brand new RV your grandparents had commissioned and just got finished.  They had planned on traveling around the country.  It has been transferred into your name and a year’s worth of insurance on it also.   I ended up signing a ton of papers.  Next, I got Kevin’s stuff; he basically got a trust fund, college fund and money for a car.  I signed for all of that to since I was his legal guardian.   He was done with me so I left.

 Patrick was waiting for me, I used the bathroom and then we left to go and eat, then we were heading out to go shopping.  We hit the clothing store for the third time since we were down here.  I got some maternity clothes, and more baby clothes.  We spent enough money to get, a couple of backpacks.  We left and I packed the clothes up in the backpack.  When we got back to the house, I went through the paperwork I was given.  The RV was being delivered to us in the next couple of days.  Patrick made me rest and took care of Kevin. 

Vern and Alpha Dixon came up to my room.  I let them in and we talked, my grandparents left them a few things I guess.  I told them they left me the house and land.  If I ever decided to sell it I needed to offer it to the pack first.  Alpha Dixon looked relieved, grandpa also wanted to let you guys to continue to use the land within reason.  Vern they still want you and the staff to stay on and here and host weddings and things.  They left a fund to pay the taxes and repairs.  Any money left over from paying the staff for parties and things needs to go into the house fund.  I know they had talked at my graduation of possibly turning the house into a bed and breakfast.  I don’t know how you guys feel about that.  Vern smiled and said, that is something brought to your grandparents, so yeah we have thought about it, and have wanted to do that. 

Vern said, we want to do a little bit of remodeling updating the bathrooms, refreshing the paint, fresh linens and things.  The house needs a new roof, all the pipes and wiring has been updated.  The house just needs a few minor repairs, and updated furnishings.  Kayla said, “I’ll tell you what, I want you to get three to four bids on all the projects, bathroom remodel, roof, painting and whatever else needs a bid. You don’t necessarily need to take the cheapest one but see how close they are to each other and research them; I want to see the work done correctly and at a fair price.”   Vern said, “Not a problem. I plan on waiting on changing out some of the worn out pieces of furniture and pricing things out, I like sale items.”  Kayla said, “This is still my house and I don’t know how much of it I want changed out.  How about later today you walk me through the changes, I don’t know if I’m ready to change things. I understand it needs to be done, it’s just hard to picture it.”  Vern said, “You can be a part of decision making, to a point.”  Kayla said, “Will see.”